1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: network blues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Numbat, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

I am just starting to implement a small network. I will admit my knowledge is fairly minimal.

I am able to connect the two computers together. I can share files.

My question is: How do I have access to PRIVATE files from another computer? I want to be able to access files on any computer from any other one. I would also like to be able to synchronize files as well, which I feel should be possible.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Share the drives to make all folders/files shared.

Windows XP has a 'briefcase' feature. For other, probably better, ways to synchronize files do a web search on "synchronize files."

I'm now using SugarSync, which is an online backup and sync service.

3. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

<Share the drives to make all folders/files shared.>

Wish it was that easy. If I share the HD it still does not make private files accessible from another computer, doesn't matter if I am logged in as my self or not. If they are not private, then anyone can access them, at any time.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, with XP Home you kinda have to decide whether you want folders to be shared or Private.

It's not at all clear to me what you want to do, but with XP Pro and using Advanced File Sharing or with Vista you can probably use the appropriate file permissions to accomplish whatever you want.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

By definition, a private file is not shared. A shared file is not private. If someone marked files on the hard drive private, that operation would have to be reversed, and obviously the files wouldn't be private any more.

6. avisitor

avisitor

I believe on XP Pro, if you use the hidden drive$ share (like \\computername\c$) then the entire drive was available including folders marked private.

7. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

You may well be right. I really needs something else. I will try to explain. If I am logged into the main computer (or any, really), certain folders are not available to other users. I would like to see something like that when using the network. That way, I would be able to work on my files without worrying that when it came time for someone else to use the computer, those files would still be available for them to alter.

OK, you have mentioned Advanced file sharing. What is that? I haven't seen any reference to that.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    XP Home has only Simple File Sharing (SFS). In XP Pro you unselect SFS to get Advance File Sharing. With that you can, for example, give read/write access to user1, read access to user2, and no access at all to all other users. You can do this even on an individual file basis. Here is better information than I can supply.

9. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

So the answer is that I need to consider an upgrade to XP Pro. OK, thanks for that. I will consider it. For now, I just won't let anyone else use my computers. I will mark this one solved as I can't beat the system;) (Microsoft that is).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice