1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Connection icons keep changing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by geetyet, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geetyet

geetyet Thread Starter

TSG SysInfo
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6320 @ 1.86GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3325 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 294948 MB, Free - 198973 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 4373 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0RY007
    Antivirus: ZoneAlarm Antivirus, Disabled

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 using Windows Vista that I bought in July 2007. I have been trying to make it work faster. I recently added 2 gig of memory giving it 4 gig total. I am using IE 9.

My current problem is the internet just isn’t working right. It is slow, choppy at times or doesn’t load all items on a page. If it doesn’t load a page sometimes I click on the stop X, followed by refresh and the page pops right up. Sometimes if I don’t get a complete page a refresh will fix it. It is just a pain to work with.

There is an Network Connection icon in the right corner of the task bar. It is two small blue screens. It keeps changing from a red x, an exclamation point, and three blue balls or nothing. If I rest on the icon it flashes the status of the network:
    Red X – You are not currently connected to any networks
    Exclamation Point – Access: Limited Connectivity
    Just two screens – Access: Local Only
    Blue Balls – Access: Local and Internet

I have noticed in other posts attemping to capture info using ipconfig. I'll do this if you want, but these icons are changing 3 - 10 seconds.

I started my PC in Safe Mode with Networking and had the same problem.

I have a modem from the phone company that is that is combination modem and wireless/wired router. It takes the phone line in and has four ports on the back for wired connections and also provides my wireless signal.

I hooked a different wire from a different port to a laptop that I have and made sure it was using the wired signal, not the wireless signal. It worked fine. I them took that wire, still connected to a different port, put it in the back of the desktop I am using and still got the same problem I have been having. In fact it seemed to work worse.

I should mention the laptop was running XP, where as I am running Vista on the desktop. I don't think the different OS makes a difference. Just thought I would mention it.

From this I concluded the problem is not with the signal the phone company is giving me, nor is it the signal coming out of the modem. It has to be something that is not working right on the desktop.

I hope you can help me with this.

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall ZoneAlarm and run the Removal Tool.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. geetyet

geetyet Thread Starter

I did the steps described above. I am still having the same problem. It seems to run a little faster - not like itshould - but not any better. I thinkthis is running faster because ZoneAlarm is no longer running.

I was using ZoneAlarm for my firewall and AVG for my antivirus. I did start Windows firewall in ZoneAlarm&#8217;splace.
    I get the message Internet Explorer cannot display thewebpage once in a while. I will clickthe Diagnose option. And it gives me themessage that it resets the network adapter. Other times I can click the Diagnose option and it can&#8217;t find the problem. I think the difference is that sometimes theinternet is there and other times it is not.

Is there anything else I could try? Should reinstall ZoneAlarm?
    Thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver (from Dell's web site if an integrated adapter).

Your choice on ZoneAlarm

5. geetyet

geetyet Thread Starter

I have a desktop that is wired to my router. So I wouldn't need a wireless driver, would I? If so please explain.

Prior to opening this case, I did notice the driver for my Network Adapter - Intel®
    82562V-2 10/100 - had a 2007 date on it. I suspect it was the one that was delivered when it was new. I looked at the Dell site for a newer one, as I did just now, and there aren't any. I went to the Intel site and downloaded PROWin32.exe and installed a new driver. The date on the driver now is 3/7/2012.

On the Link Speed tab of this driver there are some diagnostic tests. I am not sure what they are testing but decided to run them. There were three things I could test. I tested the Cable, Connection and
    Hardware. It passed all tests.

Can you think of anything else can I try? I do appreciate your help.

Thanks

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry. I assumed wireless, for no good reason. :eek:

If there is no ethernet driver on Dell's site it may be because the ethernet is included with the chipset drivers. If the Intel one seems to be working no worse you may as well keep it for now.

Try TCP Optimizer. (It helped somebody yesterday; can we get lucky two days in a row?)

7. geetyet

geetyet Thread Starter

I tried TCP Optimizer. It did change a couple of the settings but I am still having the trouble of intermittent access to the internet. The Network Connection icons are still changing regularly.

Anything else I can try?

I did open my PC today and verified I am using an integrated connector. Also I have a PCI slot open as well as a modem in a PCI slot that I never use. If I can't fix this otherwise, could I get a cheap Network Adapter and use it in one of those slots?

Thanks. I appreciate your help

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, you can. There are also USB ethernet adapters, but a PCI one is better.

9. geetyet

geetyet Thread Starter

I tried to find specs for the Intel(r) 82562V-2 10/100 and wasn't too successful. If I take the route of buying a new card I am am wondering what I need to look for since my system is 5 yrs old. I want some thing that would be compatible.

I found this at Newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106121

I would appreciate any advice as to what to look for.

Thanks

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Any PCI or USB adapter with a Vista driver.

11. geetyet

geetyet Thread Starter

I installed an Intel(R) Pro/1000 GT Desktop Adapter and everything is working like it used to. My internet connection is always there. It is great.

Thanks for your help.

I have one more question. After I installed the new card I noticed the driver had a 9/23/2008 date on it. Everything is working so good I was reluctant to mess with it. But I decided to download a newer driver. From the Intel site I downloaded PROWin32.exe. This is the same file name as the file downloaded when I updated the original adapter. I installed the driver for the new adapter. When I was finished it still showed the 9/23/2008. I rebooted and it was the same date. I tried to install one more time thinking I picked the wrong adapter. It still shows the same date - 9/23/2008.

I would think there would be a newer one. Any ideas about this?

This is no big deal and I can't argue with success. It was just not what I was expecting.

Thanks for all of your help.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Glad you've got it working now.

I think manufacturers figured out how to write ethernet drivers years ago, so you seldom see updates to the original driver. (Unlike for some wireless adapters that seem to require half a dozen fixes before they work correctly.)

13. geetyet

geetyet Thread Starter

Okay

Thanks again for your help. I'll mark this solved.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice