1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: network connection problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mon_i_ca, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mon_i_ca

mon_i_ca Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm getting lost in forums that are similar to my problem, but nothing seems to work really for my situation. I recently did a clean reinstall of Windows XP (Media Edition) and now I cannot connect to the internet. In my network connections I only have one "1394 Connection" and no "LAN Connection" like I was expecting. From other forums, it appears that the drivers are not installed or something for my network card and that is why I don't have that connection icon. Now... I've tried to find out what drivers I need for my network card and I have no idea. The internet worked before on my computer so I'm a little confused with what has gone wrong suddenly. I don't know how to determine the manufacturer of the card is to find a driver. I'm thinking that maybe I have an on-board LAN or something because I don't see anything that looks like a network card inside the computer. I've figured out that my motherboard is an MSI (MS-7046) but I don't know how to find out if it's on board or what. I feel like I'm going around and around in circles and not sure what to do. Maybe I'm completely off track. Any ideas? Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate anything!

Cheers,
    - Monica

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. invalidusername

invalidusername

So you say when you go to device manager, under network adapters you do not see anything for LAN?

4. mon_i_ca

mon_i_ca Thread Starter

Thanks for both of the speedy replies. I got to the base download page at MSI earlier but was stuck at this point. I can't do the live update online because I can't connect to the internet (I'm on my laptop right now) and I'm not sure what to choose for manual downloads on the side. I'm a bit lost after platforms.

As well, when I go to the device manager, the only thing under Network Adapters is 1394 Net Adapter which is just Firewire I believe.

5. invalidusername

invalidusername

Ok, John asked: Is the Ethernet Jack connected directly to the motherboard? This would indicate that you indeed have an on-board LAN adapter

6. mon_i_ca

mon_i_ca Thread Starter

Sorry forgot to comment on that - Yes, the jack is on the MB so on-board.

7. invalidusername

invalidusername

8. invalidusername

invalidusername

Here is what it says for LAN
    VIA® VT6105L LAN Controller
    - 10/100 IEEE 802.3/802.3u 10Base-T & 100Base-T compliant.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you get a drivers CD with your computer? If so, that's the easiest way to get your drivers. Then you can look for possible updates.

If its a brand computer (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) you can usually get your drivers on their site just with your computer's model or "service key."

10. invalidusername

invalidusername

11. mon_i_ca

mon_i_ca Thread Starter

Excellent. The drivers from the last link worked perfectly. I appreciate all the help. It was a little tricky because Windows was preinstalled on my refurbished computer so I was using my reinstallation CD from my Dell laptop and not all the drivers were the same. Perfect! Thanks again!

Cheers!

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice