1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by coover, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coover

coover Thread Starter

My laptop, all of a sudden, will not connect with any other computer within it's workgroup. This is new behavior. It has always been able to do so.

In fact, when I go to "Network", when I click on any of the computers in the workgroup, I get an error message ... see the attached photo. I even get the error message when I try to open the shared file on the laptop which is named "Acerlaptop".

If I go to the other computers in the workgroup, I can actually open the shared files on Acerlaptop.

Going to the "Network and Sharing Center", I find that the connected network is "Private", Network Sharing is "On", File Sharing is "On", Public File Sharing is "On" and marked so that "anyone with network access can change and create files." Password Protected Sharing is "Off".

I can ping the other computers from the laptop.

Attached Files:

2. coover

coover Thread Starter

Well, this wasn't the solution I was looking for, but I decided to try a "System Restore" and it has worked.

But I found my firewall turned off (which I immediately turned back on) and, another surprise, now "Network Discovery" is marked as "Custom". I'm not sure what that means.

If the computer continues to cause me problems. next week it will get a complete reformat ... but that is undecided for now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/794150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice