1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Fultzee, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fultzee

Fultzee Thread Starter

I am currently receiving 2.9 Meg download using my Intel 82578DC Gigabit though my Local area network can receive a maximum of 100 Mbps. I am with a network service provider that can give me a maximum of 38 Mbps. Can anyone tell me what defines the maximum speed I can download at if I am receiving 38Mbps from my supplier though my Network connection driver is only allowing me to download at 2.9Mbps???:eek:

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG;Just to clarify.This is a Lan not wireless connection.And you are paying for 38 Mbps service. ?
    May we see the results of a speed test ?
    Is a router involved here ?
    Have you ever received 38 Mbps ?
    Is the speed the same if you boot up in safe mode with networking ?
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#03
    May we see the results of:

ping yahoo.com

Like so:

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

Also,have you contacted your ISP about this ?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The maximum speed of the slowest link between the server and your computer.

5. Fultzee

Fultzee Thread Starter

I am using a LAN connected directly with Router. Current download speed 34.7Mb Upload speed 5.8 Mb and I am paying for this service. Speed id the same if I boot up in safe mode with Networking. I think there must be restrictions involved by the "service provider" I have now checked again using "Real Network Monitor program" and find that I am getting maximum of 4.7Mb/s Download and 918.8 Kb/s upload this could be all dependant on time of day!!!

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How are you determining the "current download speed"? Are you checking this at a site like speedtest.net?

Your broadband service bill says you're paying for 34.7Mb/5.8Mb service?

7. Fultzee

Fultzee Thread Starter

Yes I am checking the speed using speedtester.bt.com and speedtest.net and the service I am paying for is up to 40Mb dependant on how far from the exchange you are, in my case 200metres. I am quite happy with what I am getting at the moment ,I was just curious to find out if there was anything I should be doing with my PC setup that can improve matters. Many thanks for all responses

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're paying for a 40Mbps connection and you're getting 38Mbps, count yourself ridiculously lucky. That's a margin of error difference. You don't have any problem to solve there.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would also support DoubleHelix post - I work on about 80%
    so 40 ==> 80% = 32 anything above 32 would be OK - and i would not investigate

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice