Solved: Network data capture???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DaveDoesIT

Hi All,

I need to see the actual data that is moving between my 10/100 wired network.

I need something like M$oft's network Monitor 3.?? which I believe allows setting filters to capture the raw data in the packets, but it is not available for Vista Home premium.

Anyone know of a freeware, trialware, shareware or commercial program that will allow me to look at the actual packet data?

Thanks

Dave

DaveDoesIT

Thanks Squashman,

I also stumbled onto a very simple freeware program called What is Transferring"
http://www.wfshome.com/wit.htm

It did all that I needed. It was a one-shot thing an while a little clunky, it told me what I needed to know.

I installed the two you suggested and I thank you for the links and here are comments on those. The WireShark looks VERY impressive in what it can do.

NASniffer is difficult t use and pretty clunky.
WireShark is huge overkill and a steep learning curve.

Dave

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Just to be sure, you're talking about capturing data on the network or between a PC and the network?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online