1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network database question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by clmowers, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clmowers

clmowers Thread Starter

Hello all,
    What Im am wonder is, I have a database that I am keeping my calls in. Basiclly when someone calls you click new call this will give you a fresh screen and add 1 line to the database, you put in the, who called,the problem, resolution and so on. Now my question is when I have 2 support people get calls at the same time,they both click on new call and they both will be assign the same number, so when they save the info one person is overwriting another person call and we end up having to type in all that info of the call that is overwriten Is there a way to where when one peopson starts a new record when the next person start a new record they are not over writing each others info. Does this make any sense. Im using 2003 access for the database and the users are using 2000 access.Any help will be great

2. cristobal03

cristobal03

Access should handle record locking itself (by default), so my guess is that there's an issue with the deployment. This is apparently not a split database since the front end and back end are different versions of Access (that's just a guess). How was the FE/BE dynamic developed? What sort of distribution are you employing?

chris.

3. cristobal03

cristobal03

[bump]

On second thought, here's my impression.

How are you assigning the call number? I'm guessing you're using some kind of domain aggregate function like a DMax, so that the call record's primary key is one higher than the previously stored record. However, because the record isn't created when your users click the button (or so it sounds), two calls may be assigned the same number.

If that's the case, you're going to need to use something else as the primary key, like an autonumber. You can keep the call numbers for internal purposes, but they probably won't be accurate. I'll think about some other workarounds and post back.

chris.

4. clmowers

clmowers Thread Starter

Well, Im new to access and the whole database thing. Basiclly what I did was made the database to where I wanted it. Then I use the tool to split the database. Both fe/be are located on the server in a share folder where the 3 of us have access to it. Then I just copied the front end onto each desktop and created a web page for both. I have no clue if it is done correctly or not. I was just kind of messing around to get it to do what I want. So I could very well have missed something that I should have done. The whole database was created with 2003 but in a 2000 format. So it should be all the same. Right? . It was just created with 2003.

5. cristobal03

cristobal03

Yeah, I kind of jumped the gun when I pointed to the distribution.

I think post #3 is probably closer to the mark.

chris.

6. OBP

OBP

As Chris pointed out it looks as if the record is not being locked while the data is being input.
    This can be "forced" by saving the record when the unique record number is created and closing the record and imediately re-opening it for the data input. Is the record key an autonumber?
    Can you import the tables back in to a copy of the front end and post a zipped copy of it on here?

7. clmowers

clmowers Thread Starter

Well the auto number is working.If you accessing the table by you self it works. Just when two poepl etry to access it. I think it just might the way I have it set up. But due to HIPPA and PHI regulations,by law I can release any infomation that on the table. I would have to strip absolutlly everything from it in order to do that. Which you just dive you 2 line. One blank and the other saying autonumber.Now I dont know if this is possible but, Is there a way to program the New Call button so it starts a new call and saves at the sme time. This way when you click on new call it will save it to that line and lock that number.

8. clmowers

clmowers Thread Starter

Tru_greb, You might want to try and post under the networking forum where they would be able to help you better. My suggestion would be to make sure that both nic's are turn on in network settings. Also if you open a command promt window and use the command
    ipconfig /release and then press enter and then type
    ipconfig /renew

What kind OS are you using?

9. cristobal03

cristobal03

Oi, let's not hijack this thread.

true_greb, welcome to TSG. I've reported your post to the moderators to request it be moved to a more appropriate forum.

clmowers, it is possible to do what you ask. I've been trying to figure out a way to accomplish this task most effectively, but it's a little difficult without having a better understanding of the forms.

It sounds like you have what is called a Switchboard: a form containing controls for accessing different parts of the database. On your switchboard is a New Call button that opens another form, is this correct? If not, it's probably closer to what you want. You could bind the New Call form to its underlying recordset, or table, and adjust its properties so that the form always opens to a new record. That way, Access will be able to handle the record locking and you'll never have two users overwriting each other's entries.

But without a sample to work with, it's difficult to give more pertinent suggestions. Could you at least describe the table structure, inclluding data types and sample values?

chris.

10. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

The way I handle such things is to have a separate file, which actually is a database table so that file locking is not an issue, and that table (named "nextno") contains a lot of next numbers used as indices in my application.

When the call comes in and the user creates a new record, the application goes to nextno, locks it, and gets the next number. It then increments the value in nextno, saves the record, and unlocks nextno. Since nextno exists in only one place on the network and is globally accessed, everyone gets a unique sequence number and I don't have to worry about the database handling it correctly.

If the sequence number is obtained when the user opens the new record, then sequences in the database may not be consecutive since the sequence number will be lost if the user closes the new record without saving it. If this is important, then you write a "save" program that obtains the proper sequence number only when the user chooses to actually save the record.

The mechanism works well, and removes the function of specifying a unique record number from the database, where it can get screwed up due to network latencies.

11. clmowers

clmowers Thread Starter

Well the perfect sample would be if you look at the database "issue tracker" on microsofts website under templetes, I based mine off of that. I tired to minipilate that one but it never work right. so I used theres as a templete for when I was building mine. It nots the best way of doing a database but this is my first database ever and was just kind of thrown on my desk. I have no clue what the hell im doing. But there is a "switchboard" that i put in. I desided to set up a webpage based GUI under pages so the user can use that instead of have to open up the database and have access to all of that stuff. This will limit to what they can get to and risk corruption.But basiclly I have a table in the backend that holds the call. In the front end I have all my reports and pages and so on. Now on the webpage that I have set up when you click new call it just kind of clears that line and let you put in new information. I couldnt figure out how to get it to open another page. when you click on new user there is a bar on the bottom (the one that access put by default on a page) that will show a new call. But soesnt lock it in the call table.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!