1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Drive mapping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ahDong, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ahDong

ahDong Thread Starter

Hello there everyone, :cool:

can i connect to a network drive with ip 10.2.32.21\d$

while my computer ip is 10.2.33.189.

i can ping the drive but when i tried to mapping it shows up network not accessible or need permission for accessing the drive.

* the drive is accessible for all other PC with ip range 10.2.32.xx.

i m not familiar with networking, any helps are appreciate. thanks:D

2. xalerik

xalerik

hi,

Please try to map not administrative share. Which operating systems? Domain or workgroup environment. Too many options with provided info. Also read this

3. ahDong

ahDong Thread Starter

Hi xalerik, thanks for the reply

i m running on windows 7, connecting to the pc which is running windows xp. both machine are under same domain, i suppose that was the same workgroup.

i was fine to access the destination PC without a problem while i was with my old PC which is running windows xp.

tried to map to other share drives as well, same error message.

"\\share_drive is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

4. Rockn

Rockn

You are not mapping to a drive, you are mapping a drive letter to a network share. \\servername\sharename and C$ or whatever with a $ sign is a hidden administrative share. You need admin rights to map to an administrative share. Just create shares for the stuff you need to share and not the entire volume and assign the appropriate permissions for whoever will be accessing it.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I pretty much agree with Rockn. Even if you want to share the entire "D" actually share it, and don't use the administrative share.

And make sure your network mask is correct. I don't know what it should be, but you've given enough information to show that 255.255.255.0 is not correct.

6. ahDong

ahDong Thread Starter

Thanks Rockn, TerryNet. looks like it works.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1039889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice