1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Drivers for Compaq Presario 5400US

Discussion in 'Networking' started by boweasel, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boweasel

boweasel Banned Thread Starter

I had little response to my previous question
    http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1089381-puzzling-wired-connection-problem.html
    so I went into device manager and deleted the 2 network adapters, rebooted and let Windows reinstall. Windows created a new Local Area Connection (LAC4, 2 and 3 are gone). It reads limited or no connectivity and is using Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter, just like the previous LAC2. The previous LAC3, which used the WAN Network Driver never got reinstalled. I don't get it.

Since a Linksys adapter on a wired connection seemed bizarre I tried to find what the correct network driver should be.

I Googled "Compaq Presario 5400US" "ethernet driver" OR "network driver" and was taken to an HP drivers page, which I guess makes sense since HP now owns Compaq
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=93284#N430
    This page has nothing listed for chipset or network adapters. Really? This is becoming maddening. What am I doing wrong? Can someone at least point me to a site to determine and download a network driver? Please!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Compaq Presario has SR5400 series and S5400 series desktops, so we need to determine the exact model number you have.

If you're unable to find the exact model number, advise us what the product number(P/N) and model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

The S5400 series appear to have been introduced in 2002 - 2003.

The SR5400 series appear to have been introduced in 2008.

The Linksys LNE100TX is a very old ethernet device from the Windows 98 and Windows ME and early Windows XP days, so I'm going to assume that you have a S5400 series model.

----------------------------------------------------------

3. boweasel

The rather large clear decal on the side only lists 5400 US and 5000 series. The date at the bottom of that decal is 2001. There is a s/n on a sticker on the front if that helps.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That information is no help in determining the exact model number of that desktop.

Does it still have a working internet connection?

Has a clean reinstall of Windows XP SP3 ever been done it it?

----------------------------------------------------------

5. boweasel

I have no idea why a determination of the exact model number of a computer that has never had a single sticker removed from it should be so difficult. I suppose I coud use another computer, download Belarc Advisor onto a flash drive, and run it on the problem desktop PC. The actual model number of the adapter is LNE100TX Version 5.1
    No, the lack of connectivity is what prompted the postings
    No, and not having the original Compaq installation CD, and given the difficulty I've experienced with simply one driver (let alone the chipset, audio, video, etc), it's a process that I'm loathe to do.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Considering that desktop is 11 years old and considering the issues it's having(per your other thread), a clean reinstall of Windows XP and getting a fresh start may be the best option.

Assuming you do have a Compaq Presario 5400US desktop and not a different 5400 series model, a reinstallation disc kit appears to be available for it here.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. boweasel

I went to the Linksys website on another PC and downloaded the driver for the LNE100TX Version 5.1 adapter onto a flash drive, stuck it in the problem PC, went to device mgr, clicked on Network adapter, clicked on update driver, pointed it to the folder on the flash drive, got the msg The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed, rebooted anyway, and now have a working connection.

(shrug). I dunno.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yep. Version 5.1 was the last driver released for the Linksys LNE100TX so it could support Windows XP.

-----------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice