1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Drives not reconnecting at boot time

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SidPrice, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SidPrice

SidPrice Thread Starter

I have a couple of XP Pro SP2 machines that need to automatically reconnect to some network drives on startup. They both run applications that need access to these drives. The network drives are on LinkSys NSLU2 network storage devices. When I mapped them (to y: and z: ) I set them to reconnect at startup but this does not happen, on restart they show "disconnected". If I run a "net use" command they are reported as unavailable. Once I double click on them they open just fine.
    Any suggestions please?
    Sid.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried putting a simple batch job in your startup with the correct NET USE commands to connect them?

3. SidPrice

SidPrice Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestion. I have used a VBScript that is run on startup and that seems to do the job.

Dim WSHNetwork
    Set WSHNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")

WSHNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "Y:", "\\Lkg0fba53\disk 2"
    WSHNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "Z:", "\\Lkg0fba53\disk 1"

I need to add some more drives and error checking but it looks like this will address my needs.
    Thanks,
    Sid. :)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Glad we could help. Don't know why it doesn't remember, but I suspect this is easier than finding that. :D

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655183