1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Hard drive issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spacemonkey, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spacemonkey

spacemonkey Thread Starter

Hi guys

I have recently moved into my partners house and am experiencing problems with my external HD

Where i lived before i had the hard drive plugged into my wireless router and therefore could see and use it through my network connection. It connected to the router via an ethernet cable.

My partner has cable internet. The modem for which connects to a Belkin router (F5D8233-4v) This provides the house with a wireless connection. When i attempt to plug my hard drive in to the back of this again via the ethernet cable the router lights up to show a wired connection. But i cannot find the hard drive on my network places!!

I have attempted to re-boot a few times but i still cannot find it!

Can anyone give me an idea where i am going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Phil

2. spacemonkey

Can anybody help?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Not enough information.

What make and model is the hard drive?
    Since you moved, it was obviously jostled around. Is it still readable when directly connected to the computer?
    Is there anything in the configuration of the router that would block it? MAC filtering? Port blocking or configuration?

4. spacemonkey

the had drive works fine directly connected.. All i know is it is a sumvision hard drive enclosure not sure what actual disk is inside it though.

When it comes to the router i have no idea about port blocking or MAC filtering so it could be that i suppose?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the drive get a dynamic IP configuration, or is it possibly set to a static IP that is not valid for the Belkin router? If the former, does it show up in the Belkin's client list?

6. spacemonkey

i honestly dont know the answer to that. All i did last time was just plug and play

How would i find that out?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    RTM and/or login to the router and look at the DHCP Client list.

8. spacemonkey

9. spacemonkey

ok i have worked out that it is not in the client list of the router

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Read the manual. You're connected to a different router now, and obviously something has to be changed.

11. spacemonkey

i no longer have the manual for it :(

12. spacemonkey

ok when i connect it it appears on the client list for a few seconds then it vanishes

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

14. spacemonkey

ok for whatever reason the manual would not download so. I have reset the hard drive using the reset button. Now the router recognises the hard drive and i can find it on the network. But when i click on it all i get is the a file for printers!! there is nothing else there. If i plug the drive in via USB i can see all my files so i know they are there!

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The file downloads just fine. You'll have to be more specific as to what the problem is with that. You can go to this link and click on the manual from there.
    http://www.sumvision.com.cn/manuals.aspx

I don't have any other suggestions for you. The manual contains poor English and plenty of Chinese characters. That's one reason I stick to name-brand productions. And I never throw manuals away.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice