1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Harddrive Vs Portable Harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aimlesspee, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aimlesspee

aimlesspee Thread Starter

I am currently backing up weekly to a small external drive.. it is a small 20gigger. It has taken about 1 year or so to fill up. Now i am thinking long term.. i am considering purchasing a "network harddrive", one that is between 500gigz to 1tb. There is a smaller/more affordable Seagate external drive.. but it is not a "network harddrive".. it has 1.5tb.. versus a network drive that is about 2tb but it cost about 314.

My question is, thinking long term.. and considering the setup i have.. which is a regular PC acting as a server.. what should i get?

Your suggestions are appreciated

Thank you

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

The new network drives or (NAS drives) are nice since it makes it easy for any computer to access the data and use it for backup. Plus, many of them can also give you remote access to the files. And lastly, the drives aren't reliant on any one computer...just the router.

Good luck.

3. Hughv

Hughv

There's no advantage to network drives unless you have a network. How many PCs will access this drive?

4. aimlesspee

hey Rick.. thanks for the reply..

Let me tell you my setup..

6 computers.. all of them have Xp including the "server computer", which i will reiterate, is just a regular PC acting as a server. The network is just local and is like all connected as a "workgroup". I am telling you all this so i don't make the mistake of purchasing a "network" drive that i can only use if i have Windows Server or something complex like that..

Thanks

5. Hughv

Hughv

A network drive will work fine in this environment.
    Be sure to follow the setup directions carefully, as the procedures to access and control the folders, etc. are different than for an external drive.

6. aimlesspee

Well awesome, i will follow your advice.. however, let me clarify.. this network drive will act as a backup.. it will back up certain data every week/and some data every day.. the other computers won't even access the network drive at all. It will be backing up all the information from the "server" computer.

7. Hughv

Hughv

That's not really a "Server". It's just your principal PC.
    There's certainly plenty of room for the other PCs to utilize this drive, but that's up to you.
    Remember, no data is safe on a hard drive. Consider adding online and optical backup if your data is important.

8. aimlesspee

Yes that's what i am going for..

This is what i want to achieve.. onsite and offsite backup.. which i am doing now with the better backup solution with the network drive

But i am also currently with Mozypro.. i tried to get others to do my offsite back up but none were as simple as mozypro.. is this a good choice?

9. Hughv

Hughv

I've heard good things about it, and they advertise nationally, which suggests they aren't a fly-by-night outfit. The trial version worked OK for me.
    The drawback to these services is often the download speed when a restore is needed, but I don't have any experience with Mozy in this regard.
    I really like the MS Sky drive setup. 25 GB of free space and relatively simple.
    Google Docs is also nice.

10. aimlesspee

Hugh,

I'm an insurance broker.. msot of the information i have on the main PC and most of the information that will be backed up are PDFs of signed applications, scanned licenses and registrations and pictures..

In the case where i actually had to download a backup, because my server crashed or the place burned down, what is the process.. does it all restore my computer like 90 percent? that is my goal here, unfortunately, due to budget constraints, the setup i have seen or think will work best for me is getting a bigger external network drive for onsite backup and mozypro for the offsite.. will this setup suffice?

11. Hughv

Hughv

You should try a partial restore to see what the problems might be. There are many negative posts, but some are several years old.
    http://mozyrestore.com/
    My experience tells me this:
    No file is safe on a hard drive. They crash, the cases malfunction and they're vulnerable to fire, theft and the whimsies of God and Satan.
    I've been experimenting with Gladinet, which os an interface for several online backup service (Google Docs and MS Sky drive included, as well as Amazon).
    It's a manual process, but I find Google and MS more trustworthy than most.
    http://www.gladinet.com/
    The only safe answer, IMHO, is lots of copies in different formats.

12. helpmerick

helpmerick

I'm glad HughV added the information about safety and hard drives. A backup, is not a backup unless you have it stored in at least 3 places...one of them being a more rugged medium like flash drives or DVDs. The key to good backup is making sure you test your backups from time to time.

I also like online backup as ONE cog in my backup wheel.

We are opening up a whole new topic, but back to your question, I do like the option of some NAS drives to access data remotely...and with the number of computers in your network, it is a great solution. Again, it shouldn't be your only cope of data however.

HughV, nice to meet you...you seem to be a kindred spirit regarding your thoughts on backup and cloud computing. I'm a Gmail freak, love Goolge Docs and Zoho, Pixlr, and many other Web 2.0 apps.

13. aimlesspee

14. helpmerick

helpmerick

Yikes...that one is a little steep. And do you really need a DVD burner built-in to the drive??

Check out this fairly recent review at CNET of some nice NAS drives.

15. Hughv

Hughv

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice