1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network icons in system tray show no connection, yet local and internet work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vookster82, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

Kinda baffled on this one all...

Pics attached:
    Network icons in system tray show no connection, yet local and internet connections work fine and are perfectly accessable....
    This happens both hardwired, and wireless... with three different brands of wireless adapters.
    Rosewill, netgear and TP-link....
    Tried with several drivers different drivers, included MS ones.
    Also tried with and without the adapters manufacturer wireless software....same result of incorrenct MS icon... granted the manufacturer icon would report correctly...figures

Seen this before on a friends win 7 machine a few months back and didnt think anything of it...:rolleyes:

My rig has a fresh win 7 x64 install, this network icon issue occurred both before, and also after windows updates, so that's pretty much ruled out too...and not a single piece of software or system mod was done before I established connectivity and seen the erroneous icons.... bashing head right about now....

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Manufacturer's software often causes problems with Windows networking. It is really useless since Windows handles networking perfectly well, but they try to get you to use their software so that it is easiest if you connect another machine to also use their software and buy their hardware as well. They are trying to addict you.

If you still have that junk installed, get rid of it.

3. BPCS

BPCS

Sfc /scannow

4. vookster82

I wish it was that easy Elvandil,
    Couldn't be anything with third party wireless software, as I let windows find the wireless drivers first and it did.
    First adapter installed correctly and worked fine via built in drivers...but then the lan and wireless icons started showing disconnected, yet i was connected. So then i uninstalled and reinstalled with manufacturer drivers only. That didnt fix the icon issue.... then i tried the manufacturer software just to see if their icon would report correctly and it did, yet the windows networking icons showed disconnected.

And i agree, the third party wireless software if pure eye candy crud and never install them....just drivers.

ya no luck still. gonna try loading up the birth image I took first thing after the OS was installed.
    If that dont work ill just try reloading the OS from scratch again.
    Dont really bother me...but at the same time it does. mostly b/c i cant find a reason or solution anywhere yet.
    So im gonna keep bashing my head on the desk for a while to solve it...in theory...

/Scannow did nothing worth while and nothing relevant in the log.

5. vookster82

SOLVED....i guess.

For some reason the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adaptor kept showing up in the device manager even after i removed both hardwire and wireless adapters and thier drivers. The Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adaptor it would reinstall itself and come back over and over.

Gave up after tons of attempts and just reimaged to a birth image, loaded up all my "needed" drivers and software, and voila...no Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adaptor this time.

It was wierd also b/c even when the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adaptor was disabled in device manager....after a reboot it would be back up and running reacing havoc with my icon sanity...

Thanks for the ideas all!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice