1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: network key drops from 10 digits to 8

Discussion in 'Networking' started by girlonoverdrive, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. girlonoverdrive

girlonoverdrive Thread Starter

Hi! I had to reformat my laptop due to a virus. I loaded OS and drivers and everything is ok except my wireless. It says "limited or no connection". I checked the network key and it only has 8 digits when my key has 10. I change it back to 10 digits, save it, then open it again to check but -again, it only has 8 digits. Not sure if this is the reason or if my driver is the reason. Dell connection manager doesn't even see my wifi network but windows does and tries to connect to my wireless - except that it's limited or no connection. Btw, I tried re-installing driver but my laptap hangs each time I either install a new one or try to uninstall the existing one.

Appreciate your help very much.

Thanks you!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure that you have only one wireless utility (XP's WZC, Dell WLAN, etc.) running.

Delete the wireless profile and try to connect. You should be prompted for the key.

If your router and devices support it use WPA-PSK. Not only is it secure, but usually easier to work with than WEP.

3. girlonoverdrive

It's still not working. The weird thing is it worked at the office. When I got back home, I can't connect to my wireless. I have another laptop that's connected to the wireless and it's working fine. Both laptops have exact wireless connection configurations but it's still limited to no connection. I rebooted the router but it's still not connecting. Help!

4. girlonoverdrive

Dearest Terrynet, I finally got it working! You were right, it has something to do with a duplicate wireless utility working. I didn't have any running under "programs" but took a second look at "add/remove programs". I saw one there (intel proset blah blah blah) and uninstalled it. It froze while uninstalling but when I rebooted and took another look, it was gone and I had wireless connection.

Thank you sooo much!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice