1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Network not present or not started...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobblue, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobblue

bobblue Thread Starter

:confused:

I recently installed McAfee Internet Security 4.01 on my Windows 2000 machine (big mistake!) and things have not been the same since. After installing, all floppy & cd drives on my system were rendered inaccessible (got 'Incorrect Function' errors whenever I tried to access them), and this was only resolved by uninstalling Internet Security. My drives are now accessible once again, however since uninstalling the software my network has now been rendered useless! I have been in touch with McAfee tech support frequently but they have been less than helpful so far - it appears they have not encountered a problem of this nature before...

When I now try to access any mapped network locations or click on either 'Entire Network' or 'Computers Near Me' in 'My Network Places' I just get an error message saying "Unable to browse the network. The network is not present or not started." I am therefore unable to see or access any other computers on my network from my Windows 2000 machine.

I should point out that prior to installing the afore-mentioned software my network has been working perfectly for the past 6 months. In addition, I am also sharing my dialup ADSL connection on the Windows 2000 machine using ICS, which has not been affected - my other machines can still access the internet connection on the Windows 2000 machine, so the network itself is obviously still intact. My other machines are also able to see the Windows 2000 machine in Network Neighbourhood, so the network problem appears to be restricted to the Windows 2000 machine alone.

I have already tried reinstalling File & Printer Sharing, NetBEUI and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) on my network adapter, as well as reintsalling the network adapter itself but that has not helped.

In Event Viewer I have also noticed the following error messages over the last few days which may or may not be related. Some of the 31008 messages were present before the network went down (i.e. while it was still working quite happily), and the 32003 message has only arisen once and has not returned since. The 31012 message is regular as clockwork, however...

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ipnathlp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 31012
    Description:
    The DNS proxy agent encountered an error while obtaining the local list of name-resolution servers. Some DNS or WINS servers may be inaccessible to clients on the local network. The data is the error code.
    Data:
    0000: e8 00 00 00 รจ...

Event ID: 31008
    Description:
    The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of name-resolution servers from the registry. The data is the error code.
    Data:
    0000: 6f 00 00 00 o...

Event ID: 32003
    Description:
    The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.
    Data:
    0000: 1f 00 00 00 ....

---------------
    Network details:

1 x Windows 2000 Machine
    2 x Windows 98SE Machines
    1 x Windows 95 Machine
    All connected through a Netgear FE-104 network hub.

Windows 2000 machine has IP 192.168.0.1 & mask of 255.255.255.0 (for ICS purposes).
    All other machines set to obtain IP & DNS automatically.
    ---------------

I would be grateful if anybody could shed some light on the situation and how to resolve it... and if anyone else is thinking of installing McAfee Internet Security 4.01 on a Windows 2000 machine I would strongly advise against it until they've ironed out the bugs!!

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered...

Best regards,

Rob

2. Dan O

Dan O

I found the same problem myself with McAfee latest products and their lack of support. They will not admit they have a problem, so I no longer use any of their products. I had been a loyal user of their products for years.

I recommend you disable all McAfee utilities, until they get their act together. Here is a link to a few Startup utilities that will help: http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/swlib/hotfiles/search.html

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

The Event id 31012 usually shows up due to an incorrect DNS entry in the networking settings. That Mcafee internet security might have changed the dns setting and it is now pointing at the wrong place. If the DNS entry is pointing back at your own machine, then it is definitetly wrong.

As far as the browsing the network, that could be several things, Make sure that the the Workstation and Computer Browser services are running and are set to automatically start on bootup.

As an aside, also avoid Norton's Personal Firewall when using Windows 2000. It changes a setting that can make your pc crash when trying to change permissions remotely on other computers and uninstalling does not correct the problem. I tried it twice on clean installs and the same thing happened both times.

4. bobblue

bobblue Thread Starter

I agree McAfee have gone downhill lately... their latest breed of software seem to have no end of incompatibility problems with Win2000/XP & IE6. My main reason for getting the Internet Security package was to upgrade to VirusScan 6, so I could in turn upgrade to IE6 (VirusScan 5 isn't compatible...).

Admittedly VirusScan 6 is the one part of the package which seems to work okay so far... my confidence in McAfee has definitely taken a knock though!

5. bobblue

bobblue Thread Starter

The network DNS entries for my Win2000 machine are currently blank... I originally had it set to 'Obtain DNS automatically' but when I set up ICS to share the ASDL connection Win2000 must have changed it (either that or our friend Internet Security had something to do with it). With the IP set manually (to 192.168.0.1) the 'Obtain DNS automatically' option becomes greyed out... should there be a particular DNS specified? The DNS entry for my dialup ADSL connection is set to 'obtain automatically' though, and I haven't had any dns lookup probs on any machines on the network... guess the lack of any specific DNS entry for the network on the Win2000 machine doesn't hurt?

Incidentally I didn't get any 31012 or IPNATHLP errors on bootup today - they seem to come and go somewhat randomly... :confused:

Both are running and set to start automatically on bootup already... network still isn't working. :(

Any other ideas what could be causing the network browsing problem?

I've had problems with Norton products before... back in my Win98 days Norton Systemworks failed during installation and left an incomplete install behind - the uninstall didn't work so had to go through the registry/windows/program folders by hand removing all the keys/files individually - swore I wouldn't use a Norton product again!

Hmm... so with Norton & McAfee both in my blackbooks now my choice of products would appear to be rapidly declining! C'est la vie... :rolleyes:

6. bobblue

bobblue Thread Starter

Fixed the problem... reinstalling 'Client for Microsoft Networks' did the trick in the end!

Thanks for the help anyway guys...

:)

7. Dan O

Dan O

That's great news. I will mark this thread solved.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice