1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network password?...probably a stupid question...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by thing, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thing

thing Thread Starter

This is probably a really stupid question but I have no choice but to ask it. I recently intoduced my wifes laptop to the network no problem (well in fact 4 months ago now). However If I try to access her shared folders (or she mine) it asks for a username and password. Both machines are running Windows 7. There are 2 other machines on the network 1 running Vista and the other XP (4 in total), all machines can share data except hers.

Please see attached image.

I have not assigned any usernames or passwords so why does it ask for one? Another stupid question...:eek:

I have got around this by simply placing everything I want to share in my public folder for her to access which works, but it would be good to be able to access her folders directly and visa versa. I have searched and read alot about this and have enabled all the things I think I should have on both machines with no success. I have read posts here, and everywhere else I can find but nothing seems to solve the problem. At one point or another any suggestion seems to fail (ie the setting to change does not exist or is not available [greyed out]) or it simply does not fix the problem.

So finally I have succumbed and posted this. Can anyone help please....I'm sure it's simple :eek: but I have no idea how to solve it. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. warrior19

warrior19

Have You Tried Using The Username and Password that would be used if you sat in front of Jolie-PC? If there is no password then still enter the Username: which might be JOLIE-PC and leave the password blank? Also ensure the WORKGROUP name is the same on all machines (usually is WORKGROUP by default).

Also see:
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?threadID=236402&start=60#2682194

3. valis

valis Moderator

if they are both on 7, have you tried the homegroup option?

4. warrior19

warrior19

Sorry I missed that. Yes VALIS is correct.

5. thing

thing Thread Starter

Warrior19 & valis, thanks for your replies much appreciated.

Warrior, I just noticed you saw both are on Win 7 (not an XP issue).

valis, yes I have tried that option, but still get the username/password prompt. It's been sometime since I have done it but I will have another go (again) before posting again here in relation to that particular fix attempt.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IMO it's easiest to just input the account/password once and check the "remember" box. I think that Windows 7 will not file share unless at least one of its user accounts is password protected, but I'm not positive as I've never tried it that way.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Run control userpasswords2 and configure automatic login. This works for anything from XP upward.

8. thing

thing Thread Starter

Sorry guys I must correct myself. I said she couldn't see my shared folders but she can, that is how we are currently transferring data.

The network password prompt appears on any other machine when trying to access her machine. There are no usernames or passwords set on her machine.

Please do not reply yet as am attempting the homegroup option ATM....will keep you posted. Cheers.

9. thing

thing Thread Starter

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Uhm yep Homegroup, a few clicks and done!:eek::eek::eek::eek: Sorry guys and thanks. I guess I was confusing usernames and passwords with networking passwords (which by the way I didn't know I had....a Win 7 thing?) Anyways it's sorted.

10. warrior19

warrior19

Please MARK SOLVED on first page of this post. Glad you got it working.

11. valis

valis Moderator

hah! Glad to see that it was all sorted in the end........if I had a buck for every time I had a 'slap the forehead and go d'oh' moment, my friend, I'd be retired by now. :)

cheers,

v

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice