1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network permission problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jon12345, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jon12345

Jon12345 Thread Starter

PC1 has Windows SP3 on it, PC2 has Windows SP2 on it. PC1 can see PC2 ok and has permissions. But PC2 can see PC1 under Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>MS Home>My PC name but when double clicking it I get this error:

\\My PC is not accessible. You might not have the necessary permission to use the network resource.

The network path was not found.

Why would that be?

Thanks,

Jon

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Try right clicking on the drive you want to share, goto the sharing tab, enable sharing and tick the check box's to let network users view and change my files.

3. Jon12345

Jon12345 Thread Starter

On PC1 - which is the PC that PC2 can see the name of but doesn't have permissions for - under Sharing, Share this folder, it shows Share name as C$, but the drop down also has another name that can be used (My PC). But when I choose the other name, the Apply button is not enabled. Is there a problem here? Also, the Sharing tab is different on PC1 to PC2, with different options. Is this to do with each PC having different service packs?

4. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

No i dont think it is, try repairing both the connections by right clicking the connection icon, then press repair and try again.

5. Jon12345

Jon12345 Thread Starter

Where is the connection icon found?

6. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

In network connections or in the system tray

7. Jon12345

Jon12345 Thread Starter

Ok, I did that on both PC's. I am still getting the same error. Could it be to do with the Permissions button on the Sharing tab? Why don't I have a Permissions button PC2 (with SP2)? Could it be to do with the Security tab settings?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    These PCs are both running Windows XP? If so, Home or Pro? If Pro are you using Simple File Sharing?

Have you enabled file and printer sharing on PC1?

9. Jon12345

Jon12345 Thread Starter

I am running Win XP Pro on both machines. File and Printer sharing is set on both PC1 and PC2. How do I know if I have Simple File Sharing enabled? Is there an option for two types then?

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View. The last item in the option list is Simple Sharing.

Have you disabled ALL firewalls to see if that's the issue? Can you ping each way by computer name?

11. Jon12345

Jon12345 Thread Starter

I found on PC1 I wasn't using Simple Sharing. So I changed it and reboot. I have disabled Kaspersky firewall on both PC's. I can ping PC2 from PC1. But I can't ping PC1 from PC2.

When I double click Windows Firewall in Control Panel, I get "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windwos Firewall settings. Could it be due to that?

12. JohnWill

Probably. The fact that you can't ping indicates you have a firewall issue.

13. Jon12345

Jon12345 Thread Starter

Found out it was a corrupted firewall! Thanks for your guys help.

14. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page in the upper left corner.© :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/737190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice