Solved: Network Printer and card reader?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

java_momma

Hi, I hope I am in the correct area. I recently received the HP Photosmart 2575xi as a gift. I've got it installed through the network and all is working fine. However, today I inserted my memory card from my camera, and the computer did not detect the images/card.

I use ACDSee 8 for my photo organization, and don't see an option to import from a network (or similar). If I go into my computer, I do see the card reader there listed as a Z drive.

My question is how I can get my computer (XP Home SP2) to detect the file once inserted so I can copy the photos automatically? Or, is that not possible now since I've connected the printer through my network?

Thanks for any help. :)
-Erin

TerryNet

Terry
"I use ACDSee 8 for my photo organization, and don't see an option to import from a network (or similar)."

Don't know the program, but isn't there an option to import from a drive by it's letter name; e.g., the C drive, or A drive, or D drive or Z drive?

"how I can get my computer (XP Home SP2) to detect the file once inserted"

You'e saying that the card reader has been mapped as the Z drive, and you have a card in the reader, and when you access Z there are no folders or files? If so, I would guess that the card is empty or there is a problem with the card reader.

java_momma

"Don't know the program, but isn't there an option to import from a drive by it's letter name; e.g., the C drive, or A drive, or D drive or Z drive?"

Nope. I just double checked (incase I missed it). They have a 'get photos' option, which offers the choices of scanner, camera or card reader, or mobile phone folder. I can 'open' the Z drive (or any other folder/drive) but it doesn't import them into the folders using the import method (ie changing file name).

I should have worded the second part more clearly. Normally, when I insert my card into the card reader on the printer, a window pops up on my computer screen asking what I want to do with the files. (I think it's the import wizard?) But now that I've connected the printer through the network (it's plugged in to my router) nothing happens when I place the card into the printers card reader (other than the images start to rotate on the printers screen and a Z drive appears in my computer). I can access the files and copy/move them, but there doesn't seem to be a way to import them.

When the printer was connected to the computer through USB, the wizard would pop up for Windows, and ACDSee would detect the card.

I am guessing since it's on the network, this is no longer possible?

Thanks,
-Erin :)

TerryNet

Terry
"I am guessing since it's on the network, this is no longer possible?"

Maybe partially possible. As you can tell from my previous post I don't really know anything about this! However, the manual for my HP Photosmart 2600, in the "Memory Card and PicBridge" section, has the following paragraph.

If the HP all-in-one is on a network, you must press Photo to display the Photo Menu, press 3 to select Transfer to computer, and then select your computer from the displayed list. Return to your computer and follow the onscreen prompts.

java_momma

Thanks so much! I had different numbers to press, but I was able to get a transfer wizard to appear. Now to fool around with that and see how to get it to work (getting an error message). At least I'm ½ way there now. :)

Thanks again!
-Erin :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online