1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Printing troubleshooting -- weird one!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by scooby_steve, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi

Dunno if this is better in the networking forum or the printer forum but i thought i'd give this forum a try as i tend to think it may be the network but need opinions and why.

The problem is:

I've got a Kyocera FS-C5016 Laser Colour printer on a network (connected via TCP/IP not shared). I did one print to it this morning and that was all it would do for the rest of the day. I've tried to ping it, but failed. I've changed IP address,no luck. I've tried same ethernet cable used for this printer on a computer and from this PC I could ping other PC's and gateway successfully. I've powered off/on my switch and DSL modem, still no go. I've checked all network configurations on the printer, and all look good.

I've hooked my laptop to this printer with a cross-over cable and I can ping and print perfectly (same IP address on printer), never failed once. I've also hooked this printer to another PC's via cross-over and no problems there.

However as soon as i hooked the straight through cable to the NIC on the printer, bang, no ping,no print, thus no go. Printer says "Ready" on LED. I can perform internal prints without problems.

I have since added a add-on NIC to the printer giving it the same IP address as the onboard while having disabled the onboard NIC on the printer. I can ping, print etc all without issue. As soon as I disable this add-on card and enable the onboard NIC and reattach the straight through cable, bang!, no ping, no print. However, by hooking up the laptop to it (onboard NIC) via cross-over, waa-lah, ping, print etc like there was no problems in the first place. Attached the straight through cable to the onboard NIC again and waa-lah NO print, NO ping etc.

I've restarted ALL computers that are in this network and no go.

Hopefully someone tell me whether I've got a dodgy NIC or whether my network is somehow causing the problem. It's just that if it were a dodgy onboard NIC, then it should not be printing even via a cross-over cable,where it seems to do so fine without a hiccup.

Any opinions and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

Regards
    Steve

2. BratDawg

BratDawg

First Name:
    Carla
    I've never dealt with other than shared network printers, so my only question to toss out is have you tried reinstalling the printer software on the network? Or would such a setup even require printer software to be installed somewhere?

3. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi,

Problem solved...Onboard NIC required resetting.. strange though how it worked via a cross over cable to my laptop and another PC but would not work if connected via a straight through cable... Must have something to do with the wiring..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/372449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice