1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network Question if I can use a hub with it- Just a question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xfile47, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I just wanted to know if I could do the following with no problem or if you cannot do it this way.

There is a windows 98 computer upstairs (with DSL) There is a modem--then a router---the windows 98 computer, I think he has the windows 98 computer upstairs hooked into the router and then another line in the router running downstairs to a windows XP SP1 computer. they both work fine. Here is my question.

He wants to add a third computer downstairs,so can it be like
    THe modem then router then the windows 98 computer upstairs hooked into the router. Now is it possible to then plug like a four port hub into the router and have the line running downstairs and then take the windows xp that is already down there and plug it into the hub and then the new computer plug it into the hub and they would all have the dsl just like the two of them do now,

I guess I am asking can you plug the one compute upstairs into the router and then run a cable downstairs into a hub and plug the other two computers into the hub and they will all get DSL?

or do you have to plug the upstairs computer into the router like now and then plug two morre lines into the router and run them both downstairs and run one to each computer?

And as long as everything is going throught the router no matter which way it is done do you have to run anything special to get the DSL on all? Some step by step instructions would be nice but I really want to know if the hub thing will work the way I am describing it. Thanks

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

yes.

most routers have 4 ports, some more, that connect the router with an rj-45 cable to the ethernet/nic/adapter in the various computers.

if you have more than 4 computers you can run the one/or more cables into a hub to split the signal for the other computers.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Great, so in otherwards if I wanted to on a 4 port router if three ports were taken I could still run a striaght through cable from the 4th port downstairs and plug it into a like a 4 port hub and then plug the two computers downstairs into that, so it is really like giving the router 4 more ports? Then if you have it that way you don't have to do any special setup cause don't they more or less adapt when they are plugged into the hub for the DSL? or do you have to go through and still set them up for network or will they set theirselves? I really appreciate you getting back to me so fast

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

kinda.
    the port from the router to the individual computer will not be sharing the bandwidth split by the hub, so those 2 may not be as fast as the others with the single connection..

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I thank you very much. I willl close this thread, again, Thankyou

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

One more thing... I recommend using a switch and not a hub.. they perform the same function but a hub broadcasts causing more network traffic and a switch actually routes the transmissions to the proper computers. Since they cost about the same if your purchasing I always suggest a switch over a hub.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/438055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice