1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network settings all screwed up

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ledurgeir, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ledurgeir

Ledurgeir Thread Starter

Earlier tonight I was fiddling around, trying to enter the router settigns using 192.168.1.1. During that I enabled the "Automaticly detect settings" option in the LAN settings of Internet explorer. That caused my network settings to get all screwed up. I got another ip than I usually get, 169.254.13.157 instead of 192.168.1.x.

I've tried to manually set the ip to what I had before, and the dns and gateway to what other computers on the network have. That only caused the Local area connection to claim it is connected, but the internet still doesn't work.

My computer is connected to a switch, and through the switch to the router. The router is a Zyxel Prestige 2000. Oh, and every computer in the house other than mine still has internet access. I've tried restarting everything I can think of, with and without the ip settings I set manually. Also, I still can't enter the router settings using 192.168.1.1.

Please help me solve this.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There is no logical way for you to be changing LAN settings of IE while "trying to enter the router settigns" and no way that would cause your "network settings to get all screwed up." So it's really hard for me to understand what you might have done.

Please describe your network and what operating system and service pack level. Also show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. Ledurgeir

Ledurgeir Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response.

Now, I was following some vague verbal instructions from a friend as I didn't have a clue how to access the router. It's just that I first noticed that the net was down after I changed those settings, so I assumed they were the cause.

Anyways, I'm running Windows XP, service pack 2. I'm not really sure how to describe my network, other than what I listed in the original post. Well, perhaps that mine is the only computer not using a wireless connection. All the others are laptops.

Here are the result from the cmd :

C:\Documents and Settings\Arnor>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : theplayground
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-17-B9-F0-84
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.13.157
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.13.157

C:\Documents and Settings\Arnor>

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Consulting the router's user manual may be more fruitful than "following some vague verbal instructions from a friend." ;)

Try the following repairs to see if they help.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. Ledurgeir

Ledurgeir Thread Starter

Hmm, tried that, but nothing changed. The ipconfig /all output is exactly the same as it was before. There was one thing though, when I entered the netsh winsock reset catalog command, I got confirmation of that the Winsock Catalog had been reset. When I ran the netsh int ip reset reset.log command, the cmd only paused for a few seconds, and then displayed the command line again, with no confirmation. Perhaps this is normal, just thought I'd try to give as much information as I can :)

Also, don't know if it helps, but the only two lights on my switch is the power light, and the light for the cable that goes to my computer. No lights for the cable that runs over to the router. And likewise, the router has no lights on that indicate cables, only the wireless lights are on. I don't know if that has something with the cause of the with the problem, or if it's a result of the problem.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, normal.

You've narrowed the problem with noticing the lack of those ethernet lights. Sounds like there is not a good connection between the switch and router. Try another cable and different ports. Or, if you can, connect the computer directly to the router, at least for testing.

7. Ledurgeir

Ledurgeir Thread Starter

Well, I connected my computer straight to the router, skipping the switch. That fixed the problem, so I'll just stop using the switch completely. No longer have any use for it anyway.

I have one question though, the internet speed seems to have dropped significantly. I used speed.c.is to measure my internet speed, and before the switch started acting up I usually got around 40Mpbs or higher, but now I only get around 8Mpbs. Is it possible that the switch boosted my internet speed ?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suppose it could add 4 bits of random garbage for every bit received. :)

If you have internet access anywhere near 40 Mbps who is your ISP and where are you located?

You can mark this "Solved" using the button at the upper left of your 1st post.

9. Ledurgeir

Ledurgeir Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help TerryNet, I really appreciate it :)

Oh, and I'm in Iceland with Tal as my ISP. I only pay for a 12 Mpbs connection, so I guess it's as it should be now. I just thought they had messed up somehow and I got a way better connection than I should have :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/774376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice