1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network setup...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blueboy111, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blueboy111

blueboy111 Thread Starter

i Just Got a D-Link DI-524 router and im trying to setup a network between my laptop and my desktop and im running Windows XP on both of them and i cont figure out how to set the network up so that i share the files and the printer... Please help HELP!!!

2. Sequal7

Sequal7

lemme guess, you really need help? Are you using Windows XP on both computers?
    Plug both computers into the router (ports 1 and 2), and the Internet connection into the WAN port.

On one of the computers, run the network setup wizard. Click start, control panel, Network and internet connections, setup or change your home or small office network.

Follow the prompts then create a network settings disk (floppy) and place that into the other computer. Run the floppy disk setup.

Reboot, your computers will be sharing a network.

3. blueboy111

i already tried that but it didn't work one of my computer is wireless and it doesent have a floppy drive. and it never completed the setup. the internet it still working on both computers...

4. Sequal7

Sequal7

Ok, so if I understand, you have both connected (one hardwired, one wirelss) and your trying to share "files and folders" between both?

run the setup on both computers, and choose manual setup at the end of the wizard (instead of creating a disk). Also, remember you must reboot when completed.

*Be sure to name the network the same name on BOTH computers so they can share files and folders.

5. blueboy111

Thankyou i will try that and report my progress:)

6. blueboy111

ok so this is what i tried to do i tried to run the setup on both computers and on my Laptop (wireless with no floppy drive) i get the option to creat a disk and some other options and on the desktop one after that scaning sort of thing a it says
    Cannot compleate the Network Setup wizard
    An error occurred during configuration of the network on this computer.
    you can configure your network manually, or you can run the ............................................................................................
    it doesent give me the option of doing it manualy.......
    [​IMG]

7. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

you don't really need to do that for it to work

if you have windows xp set to the classic start menue (old start menue uses 17K less memory)

do this

click on start, then click on settings

after that click on
    printers and faxes

then right click on your printer and click on sharing then share it, then any computer on your router will be able to print through it

same goes with the folders if you want to share files

you just need to right click on the folder and after that click on sharing

8. blueboy111

but my computers are conected to the internet throught the Router how can i share the printer if my computers arent conected directly or have a lan conection...

9. blueboy111

but my computers are conected to the internet throught the Router how can i share the printer if my computers arent conected directly or have a lan conection... :confused:

10. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

are both computers connected to the router

or are you trying so share a printer over the internet

so for example your friend in london can print through your printer in new york

the sharing that i showed above will only work if both computers are connected to the router either wired or wireless

11. blueboy111

well 1 of my computer is conected to the printer and both of my computers are conected to the internet through the router(1 is wired and 1 is wireless) i want to make a network thing soo that im able to share files and the printer...
    Is that possible??

12. blueboy111

I dont want to call a computer person because that aould cost 300$ and i dont wana spend that much money... Please help me...

13. Sequal7

Sequal7

Lets not make this too complicated.

Ok, so the network wizard is failing on the hardwired desktop computer or the wireless?
    (from what i have understood its the wired one)

Are you certain that you not tyring to set up a wireless network on the desktop PC? You dont have a wireless network card installed then it will fail, this is expected.

On the desktop PC do this:
    Open control panel, then open "network and internet connections". Under Pick a task click the text link (not the icon) that says: Setup or change your home or small office network.

The network wizard will start;
    Click next
    The before you continue.... window opens, read and make sure your setup as it says, then click next.
    The do you want to use the shared connection.... window opens, Select Yes, "Use the existing..." and click next
    The computer discription window opens, type a computer description here, or leave is as is.
    Computer Name, type a name for the computer here (for identification on the network)
    click next
    Name your network (this must be the same name on all computers so they can talk to each other. Different names will not show up on the network, you will need to manually find them.)
    Click next
    Turn on file and printer sharing, click next
    The ready to apply window opens, click next
    Please wait..... window with computers talking animation opens
    Your almost done....window opens, select "just finish the wizard, i dont need to run the wizard on the other computers" and click next
    Completing window opens, click finish and reboot.

Do this for the laptop too.
    Once its done, you can share files and folders as inuyasha320 stated.

14. blueboy111

u see that where it all goes wrong it doesent give me that screen Your almost done....window opens, select "just finish the wizard, i dont need to run the wizard on the other computers" and click next
    i never get that screen i get the error message which says cannot complete wizard
    [​IMG]:(

IT only gives it to me on the laptop (wireless and no Floppy drive)

15. Sequal7

Sequal7

Ok, click start run type sysdm.cpl and press ok.
    Click the Computer name tab
    Click the Change button beside "to rename this computer..."
    Type a computer name, then the same workgroup as the laptop (example MYHOME or MSHOME) then click ok

Reboot and try to see the other computer on the network.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice