1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network shared printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by raltet, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raltet

raltet Thread Starter

I have two computers connected via a wireless router and adapter. Both computers have A Vista O.S.
    The computers are connected since I can get on-line with both. I want to share my printer with the 2nd computer. I checked the share printer box on both computers and installed the printer software on the 2nd computer.
    But when I try to use the printer from the second computer I get Msg "Printer off line" The printer works fine on my computer. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and/or what I have to do to use the printer on computer #2? Thank you

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

On the system without the printer you need to Add printer....network location. It should find it on the network or you may have security software blocking. If found then add it and let it make itself the default printer.
    It should have a non generic address similar to \\computer with printer\printer name

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On "my computer" have you enabled printer sharing and have you shared the particular printer? If not, you need to do these first.

On Computer #2 can you find the (remote) printer in Network? If so, double click on it and see if you can connect to it.

4. raltet

raltet Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies (Fairnooks and Terrynet) It has been some time since you were kind enough to send me solutions to my problems. I finally got around to trying and I was successful in using the printer on the second compu. Thank you again for your help

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Glad we could help. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice