1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Network upload speed is randomly reduced

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Humbled2, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Humbled2

Humbled2 Thread Starter

First discovered this problem because I was unable to connect to a particular web site that was functional according to a friend that I was talking to on the telephone while trying to connect.

Problem: Network UPLOAD speed is randomly reduced from 2Mb to 600Kb while download speed seems unaffected (Abt. 30 to 50Mb). First eliminated the router, modem and cables as suspects working with ISP tech support. CAT 5 cabling to router and cable modem. Then I discovered that another machine on the network did not have this problem. I then discovered that disabling the network and re-enabling the network cured the problem.....temporarily.
    Downloaded and installed latest NIC driver from MB web site. No solution. Downloaded and installed latest NIC driver from Realtek web site. No solution. Updated MB BIOS. No solution.

MB= Asus M5A97 EVO
    CPU: AMD FX-4100
    OS: MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 (Latest updates)
    RAM: 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28
    NIC on MB Realtek PCIe GBE

Disabled TCP/IPV6. No solution.
    I suspect it is one of the "Advanced" settings for the Realtek PCIe GBE, but I don't know what they do.
    Anytime I disable and re-enable the network adapter my upload speed returns to normal. I haven't been able to isolate a particular action that causes the slow-down.
    The attached pics show speed test, before and after disable - re-enable network adapter. Same server.
    Any Ideas ?

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is the settings set to gigabyte or 10/100 - properties of the adapter ?

3. Humbled2

Humbled2 Thread Starter

100. I have nothing that operates at 1000.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    anything happen that coincides with the slowdown at all

did you update the driver or download and install the driver

5. Humbled2

Humbled2 Thread Starter

Can't remember anything coinciding with the discovery of the problem. I was trying to use Crossloop to help my sister and had problems connecting. Decided to uninstall and re-install Crossloop. Then decided to download a fresh copy of Crossloop and was unable to get their site to display on my screen while my sister was able to. Then I did a Speed test with speedtest.net and discovered the problem with the upload speed. Connected with my ISP internal speed test and confirmed the problem. Contacted ISP tech support and we rang out the router and cable modem and cables. He thought the modem may be the problem. Denied any network problem on their end.
    The next day I fired up a spare computer and connected to the Internet and ran the speed test which indicated NO problem.
    Immediately switched back to the main computer and ran the speed test which indicated the upload speed problem.

At this point I figured the cause had to be inside my main machine. I disabled the network and re-enabled the network and the problem was gone. Later testing revealed the problem was back. That is when I started installing new drivers and retesting, Etc.

It seems, at this point, that rebooting initializes the problem as the first speed test is always slow upload speed. I shutdown the machine overnight daily unless I'm downloading a large file overnight. I haven't confirmed the problem reappearing without rebooting. I'll check on that today.

Subsequently, I was able to install and run Crossloop and resolve my sister's issues.
    I first updated the driver and later downloaded and installed drivers from Asus site and Realtek site.
    Thanks for your help.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try a restore to before the problem started

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restore PC to an Earlier Date & Time

Go Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore

• Click in the radio button Choose a different restore point
    • Click Next
    • put a tick in Show more restore points
    • Pick a Date before this happened
    • Click Next
    This should restore the PC to that time & date

you may need to use safemode to do the restore. As the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu will appear - choose safemode

windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

7. Humbled2

Humbled2 Thread Starter

Sorry, I have no restore points from last year.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try a tcp/ip reset and uninstall/re-install the adapter

do you have another PC and if so is it experiencing the same issues?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7

Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter

ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Uninstall and allow windows to re-install the adapter and Driver
    goto the device manager > Network Adapters > click on the [+] to show all the adapters

right click on the adapter and from the menu

remove/uninstall the adapter

Now restart the pc and allow windows to detect new hardware and re install the adapter and the driver

9. Humbled2

Humbled2 Thread Starter

"Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
    Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
    Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
    ReStart (reboot) the machine."

Here are the results:
    E:\1_Down>netsh winsock reset catalog

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
    You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

E:\1_Down>netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    Reseting Global, OK!
    Reseting Interface, OK!
    Reseting Unicast Address, OK!
    Reseting Route, OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

E:\1_Down>netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    Reseting Interface, OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

==========================
    After executing the above, (and restarting) I was unable to connect to the Internet to determine if it cured the problem.
    ipconfig revealed:
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9856:afc6:4fce:3648%13
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.54.72
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

==============================
    So, I opened the adapter and set my IPv4 static address, mask, and gateway as well as the DNS servers. Then I was able to connect to speedtest.net and test it.

Initial results are GOOD. I think you may have solved the problem. I shutdown and restarted the computer and the speed test was normal. I then restarted the machine and retested again, and the results were normal. I'll give it a day or two of testing and probably come back to mark this problem SOLVED. :p
    THANK YOU !

You have been a great help to me. Is there anything I can do for you?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome (y) thanks for letting us know

when you feel its tested enough
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

no , but thanks for the offer

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice