1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Networked External Hard Drive Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by s1l3nced, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. s1l3nced

s1l3nced Thread Starter

Hello all. This is my first post here. How is everybody doing this morning?

I have a question regarding setting up an external hard drive to my existing home network.

I live in a house with 3 persons, each connected (hard-wired) to the network. The network access is a modem/router from Rogers. What I want to do is setup a 3TB External Hard Drive, and assign 1TB to a folder within the drive. The structure I want to follow is something like this: \\NetworkDriveName\Users\$FamilyMemberName$. To elaborate and to be more clear, I want to have the 3TB divided up (equally) into 1TB folders. I will name the folders to the corresponding person's name, as well. I want to map the drives, so that all each person sees for the drive is \\NetworkDriveName\Users\$FamilyMemberName$. The reason why is so that they only have access to their folder. Nobody will have access (except the Administrator) to that users personal folder except the user of that folder. I hope I am making sense so far. I want to set it up so that ONLY the pc's with the appropriate username can access their designated folder on the drive. So if person A logs into his/her PC, person A should see \\NetworkDriveName\Users\personA\. person A should not be allowed to manually type the drive to person B (ex. person A types in the Windows Explorer \\NetworkDriveName\Users\personB\). However, the administrator may access any folder. I have a bit of experience with Active Directory and Domains. Is Active Directory useful in this situation?

Any help is appreciated. I am open to any suggestions/comments.

If you feel that this setup could be done better, more efficiently, conveniently, whatever the case may be, please don't hesitate. I am open to any suggestions. I am not an expert, but an aspiring IT Professional.

Regards,

S

Edit: I forgot to mention I haven't purchased any hardware yet. I've done the research and seeing as how my router currently has a USB port on the back (Assuming for acting as a NAS) I will go ahead and purchase an External Hard Drive and connect it through the USB interface.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it may not act as a NAS -I would check the specs and confirm that is the case

it may only support 1 directory

whats the make and exact model of the router

3. s1l3nced

s1l3nced Thread Starter

Can you please explain what you mean by "it may only support 1 directory" ?

I am not at home at the moment so I cannot tell you the information about the router. I will post that information when I go home tonight.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    depends on the firmware on the router - but you may only have the option for one folder name that the router will share - thats how mine appears to work

so having three partitions or three directories on the drive - will not make any difference , if you can only set ONE up on the router configuration pages

5. s1l3nced

s1l3nced Thread Starter

If I understand correctly, you are implying I would only be able to (in certain situations, such as yours, as you described) configure, for example, PersonA's folder only? Therefore PersonB and PersonC would have full permission (default values) etc?

The hierarchal model pertaining to the Home Network I am trying to configure would look something like this:

X: (Network Drive -- root)
    \Users
    \PersonA, \PersonB, \PersonC

My intentions are not to block family members from eachothers files. My intention is to learn more about networks and how they work. Here at the office we have shared drives we all have access too. At one place the way it is setup is \\Drive\\Users\$Username$ where $Username$ is the login account name. This is all done through Active Directory and a Domain. Is this method appropriate for home networks? I am not looking to purchase anything else except for a Storage device.

At this point, since my original thought of installed a External Hard Drive to the USB interface on the router might not be technically feasible, it seems.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i think there is a world of difference between a USB port on a router to share files and a fully functional IT department with domains etc

I'll let some one else answer re the domains etc out of my experience and knowledge , i rely on an IT dept for all that and my expertise is basic home networks

7. s1l3nced

s1l3nced Thread Starter

Well I'm not trying to setup the IT dept by any means if that's what you think. Yes exactly, I need your help with home networks. So without using the Usb port on a router, say, using ethernet interface on a network external hard drive would that change things a bit in terms of flexibility with it?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes - but itmaybe you can set up something on the router - would be worth a try
    i was not suggesting that , just showing MY limitations in my knowledge

you would probably be better with a NAS drive

9. s1l3nced

s1l3nced Thread Starter

For the management aspect of things I see why a NAS drive would be better. It also seems more flexible. Thank you for aiding in my decision and sharing your knowledge!

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice