1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Networking a modem and router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jvjohnson, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jvjohnson

jvjohnson Thread Starter

First, thank you for the site and such good support, and my ability to join to gain more information. Now, to my question, I have read several posts on modem and router configuration, but none really hit on my issue, I tried John Will's method with little success.

Here is my setup and what I would like to be able to do. I have an Actiontec modem, GT701 w/ wireless, which feeds an Ativa router ($10 @ Office Depot after rebate). I want to be able to forward web traffic to a computer on the Ativa, I am trying to set up my own web server with small home/blog page. What is the best way to go about this? When I tried John's advice, the system quit working altogether, I configured to router first, having disconnected it from the modem, then configured the modem being connected directly to it. After all was said and done, I had some screwy 169.x.x.x number with "Autocofiguration" under the secong tab of the status window for my network device. I had set the router to the same subnet of the modem and disabled DHCP, used a PE connection type and typed in my username and address and set the LAN outside the modem range with the modem in Bridged mode with DHCP enabled, When iI restarted the modem / router, I couldn't log into either and there was no connection. Under ipconfig /all command window, it only listed the 169.x.x.x number with no default gateway or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might want to try working out what is wrong when you configure the two routers the way I describe, since it's probably going to be the easiest way. If all the systems on the second router were getting 169.254.x.x addresses, my guess is you have a cable issue between the routers.

3. jvjohnson

jvjohnson Thread Starter

Cable issue? Can you elaborate a little more.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The cable issue could be that the cable between routers is bad. Or you don't have an auto-sensing port but used a straight cable instead of cross-over.

Maybe I got lost, but it sounded like you bridged the modem/router and tried the "connect 2 SOHO routers" at the same time. To me "bridge" means to bypass the router function. If that's what you did and meant, you combined two methods. You either bridge the modem/router to use it as modem only or (exclusive or) use the other approach.

5. jvjohnson

jvjohnson Thread Starter

I put the modem in Bridged mode according to John's forum and connected the modem to the router with a standard cable. I only have a modem and 1 router, not two routers. In the router config, i used the PPPoE feature and used my user and pass and left MTU alone. After the restart is when i got the autoconfig with the 169.254.x.x addresses. Does that mean that either the modem or the router do not have an auto sensing feature? to correct this, would i then run a crossover cable from the modem to one of the ports on the router, but not the WAN? Something i read somewhere.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What does "put the modem in Bridged mode" mean?

To connect modem to router you are correct to use a regular cable and connect to the router's WAN port. But with this standard modem to router connection the modem has no LAN, the router's LAN address need not be changed, and the router's Dhcp should not be disabled unless all your computers are going to connect with static IPs.

7. jvjohnson

jvjohnson Thread Starter

In John's description, he talked about putting your modem in "bridged mode", i went into my modem settings, and in there there is a setting for "Bridged mode". Was that wrong of me to assume that was what he was talking about? When I sellected "bridged" the modem quite working, no connection. I then went into the router and entered the user and pass info in the PPPoE mode, that was what the modem was set to before.

8. jvjohnson

jvjohnson Thread Starter

I looked it up when i got home from work, it is "Transparent Bridging (RFC1483 Bridged)". Is this what i should be using?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have an Ativa router and I assume that the Actiontec is a modem/router combo.

You have two choices:
    a. Connect via "connect two SOHO routers" with the Actiontec being the primary and the Ativa secondary; your user and password and PPPoE are configured in the Actiontec's router portion; or
    b. Bridge the Actiontec, which turns off its router function, and connect it to the Ativa's WAN port; you configure the Ativa with your user and password and PPPoE. The only other Ativa configuration is with the wireless.

If I have it wrong, especially about the Actiontec being modem/router combo, please try your setup and problem description again. I'll try to stop assuming.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

OK, you need to specify which "method" you were copying. If you're using the two router connection we're assuming, you would NOT put the primary router in bridge mode. If you put the primary router in bridge mode, then it's just a modem, not a router anymore. In that case, you'd configure the router as if you had a plain broadband modem, because that's what you have made the primary router into. :)

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know what "Transparent Bridging (RFC1483 Bridged)" is. If, with your Actiontec, it is not what I described as "bridging" then my advice here is probably worth less than what you paid for. :(

12. jvjohnson

jvjohnson Thread Starter

The Actiontec is a broadband modem with 1 RJ45 and 1 USB out, that is why i was trying to connect the additional router behind the modem, otherwise i would have to either just have one computer hooked up wired and one wirelessly or route through a computer to another computer, the later was not desireable. The only routing that the modem does is to either RJ45 or USB, but one at a time.

13. jvjohnson

jvjohnson Thread Starter

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough before and also assumed that you would know exactly what i was talking about.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using just the Actiontec you could have two computers (one wired and one wireless) with simultaneous internet access?

Please post an ipconfig /all for a computer connected via ethernet or wireless to the modem.

Start - Run - cmd - OK
    In the black command window type
    ipconfig /all

Right click in the window, select 'select all' and hit the Enter key. That puts the output into the clipboard.

You can then paste the results into a post here.

15. jvjohnson

jvjohnson Thread Starter

Here is my config for my AMD hooked to my Ativa:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : amd
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Ativa

Ethernet adapter RJ45:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Ativa
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.106
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 18, 2007 1:59:08 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 8:14:07 PM

Here is my P3 hooked directly to the modem:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jess>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : p3
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Actiontec

Ethernet adapter RJ45:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Actiontec
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.16
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 14, 2007 12:58:08 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 14, 2038 8:08:07 PM

I have 3 wired computer I want to attach. What's next?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice