1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Networking a wireless computer and a wired xbox 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by Byrde83, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Byrde83

Byrde83 Thread Starter

Hello,

Issues is as follows;

I have a HP i7 OS Windows Vista that was hard lined through ourNetgear WGR614 Wireless-G Router, with my xbox360. Was able to network them together and stream videos, view pictures etc. Recently my wife decided she no longer liked the 15 foot black ethernet cable running through the middle of the floor so I bought and installed a HP Wireless 802.11 b/g/n PCIe Card. Had some issues originally (was not able to access the internet, unknown if the xbox was able to stream at that point), which were fixed (changed from channel 11 to channel 10), although now that it is working I am not able to stream video or view pictures.

Obviously something is different, but I am still able to access the sames files on the computer from the xbox (and the computer shows the xbox in the network screen), I can find all the same folders with all the same movies and pictures although when I select one to play the error of unplayable format appears and I am unable to play the movie or view the picture.

I have never really used the Windows Media Extender on the xbox, before, I would just access all videos through My Xbox - Videos - PC - Video Folder - Movies. I did try setting that up though, but after asking me to adjust my firewall settings, it seems to time out and I cannot get past that point. I switched between Norton and window firewall and still was not able to have the extender complete the process.

Please let me know if you have questions or more importantly you have ideas on how to remedy the situation. I did try and search the forum for a similar issue, but did not find it, meaning that I either need to change my status from intermediate to noob:eek: or I am not looking in the right places.

Thank you for you help!

2. Byrde83

Byrde83 Thread Starter

Anyone? Nothing?

3. MMMMTOASTY

MMMMTOASTY

4. Icecooper

Icecooper

I think the real issue is the Xbox360 trying to communicate to the PC through the new HP wireless card he installed. And the data is not being transcoded correctly

5. Byrde83

Byrde83 Thread Starter

Thank you for the response, in a crazy turn of events, the wife hopped on it while I was at work and said that it just started working. I am not sure if it was just resetting the computer or what, but now I can effortlessly stream again.

Thank you for your help and if you have any insight into what changed, I would love to hear it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice