1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Networking, and the Bane of My Existance

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Fatebringer, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fatebringer

Fatebringer Thread Starter

Alright, it's story time, :D

So, about two or three days ago, I started realizing some connection hiccups. At first, I thought it could just be my computer, because I tend to leave the laptop on all night occasionally.

What was happening, was my internet was dying out randomly for no apparent reason. While surfing, I'd click and suddenly get an error screen after a long attempt to load. When I called my ISP, they suggested I replace the Modem, claiming they have a tendency to die out after a few years.

All that's fine and good, but it wasn't the problem. So, after hooking up the replacement modem, the problem persists, kicking me off my video games, interrupting my web surfing, and quite frankly, driving me up a wall.

So I took a break to cool down before I actually got angry, and when I came back, I found things had only worsened. Now, instead of kicking me occasionally while I'm playing games, it won't let me load them up at all. World of Warcraft errors, and Battlefield 2142 tells me it's contacting the master server for a half hour. I get the same result with every game I've tried to run, and any other programs that have to connect outwardly.

It's odd, because I can surf the internet now just fine, but nothing else.

I confess, my knowledge of networking is one of my most limited facets of computer savvy, so I don't really know where to begin, or what I need to give you guys to help you figure it out.

I appreciate any and all help. Maybe if someone says something, it'll make my brain click. But if I don't get to game soon... I'm going to snap. :confused:

Here's what I do know about my current situation:

I have two computers in the network, one a desktop, the other a laptop. The modem is hooked up to a wireless Linksys router, and that is hooked up to the desktop. The desktop is still running just fine, as it has a hardline into the modem. The laptop is my main gaming machine (I know, laugh at me, I deserve it). When I updated the driver on my wireless adapter card, their program told me that it was connected to the router itself, but did not have a connection to the internet via the router.

That's about all I know. If there's something else, ask, and I'll try my best to further explain.

Again, thanks in advance.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
    Make/model of the broadband modem.
    Make/model of the router (if any).
    Connection type, wired, wireless.
    Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
    Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
    Version and patch level of Windows, i.e. XP-Home SP2.

Do the games play properly on the desktop? Have you tried the laptop with a cable to see if this is a wireless issue?

3. Fatebringer

Certainly,

1. The ISP is Charter Communications, and I live in the Unite States.
    2. The Modem is from Scientific Atlanta, and I think it's Model No. is DPC2100R2. It's a Cable Modem, V 2.1
    3. The router is a Linksys, Wireless-G Broadband Router, Model No. WRT54GL, Firmware Version: v4.30.9
    4. It is a wireless connection.
    5. The network card is a Linksys, Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Model No. WPC54G ver.1.2
    6. The Computer is a Gateway 8510GZ
    7. Windows is XP Home edition, SP2

World of Warcraft plays fine on the desktop connected directly to the modem. I tried linking the modem directly into the laptop, and it worked then. I'm assuming that the problem lies with the Router, or my laptop's connection to said piece of machinery.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

OK, you're talking wireless issues here, that's where I was going with this.

Have you upgraded the firmware to the latest version available in the router? Have you tried changing channels on the router, I'd try channel 1, 11, and 6 in that order. How about disabling encryption for a test? Many times encryption will reduce the bandwidth and range of the wireless signal.

How about moving the laptop closer to the router for a test? Does that make a difference?

Finally, on the laptop, let's see this.

Register at DSLReports and run their line quality tests. Post a link to the results here.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To manage the wireless connection are you using the Linksys utility or Windows' WZC? And are you sure that the other one is not running?

6. Fatebringer

A. The router is completely up to date. In fact, while I was away for a couple of hours, my parents actually bought a new one, thinking that would be the fix. I'm now on a Linksys, Wireless-G Broadband Router, Model No. WRT54G, Firmware version: v8.00.0.

B. Channels? What are these?

C. There is no encryption on the router.

D. I've moved the laptop closer, and I even plugged it straight into the modem. I was online, I could surf and everything, but I still could not log on any games. And, it's not just an individual error, it's all of them. World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2142, Gunz Online, Counterstrike, etc... None of them can go online.

E. I don't think I mentioned this, but it might make a difference. Barring the fact that as I said above, the router has been replaced, but this problem occurred before hand. When this first happened, nothing on the network had been changed except for the modem. All that happened, was I switched out the modem, got it online and running on the desktop, and then the laptop stopped having the capabilities to run games online.

F. I am currently in the process of trying to get my line test done on that website. It's complaining the my computer is not ping-able, and I'm trying to find out why and fix that. I'm going to restart my computer and then try again, I'll post back here when I figure out why.

@ TerryNet
    I get what you mean, but I don't know where/what Windows' WZC is? How do I check if that's running or not?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    B. Channels, like TV channels, indicate different radio frequencies. In North America the channels are 1 through 11 and the non interfering channels are 1, 6 and 11.

D. Firewall.

F. Firewall

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - find Wireless Zero Configuration. If you are using another utility Stop WZC and set the Startup type to 'disabled.'

8. Fatebringer

Wow... o.o

Wouldn't you know it? I uninstalled Zone Alarm, and presto...

Thanks. Now I have to find an alternative firewall, and I'm set.

Again, thank you both very much for the help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice