1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Networking Between ME and 98

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pyrosx1, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pyrosx1

Pyrosx1 Thread Starter

Awhile back, I got an ethernet router (d-link 640 i believe, i can double check if its important), so that i could split my internet connection and create a network so that i could quickly move files between my two computers and share my only printer. So far, all I can do is get my internet connection shared, and i didn't really need to do anything for that. What ive done so far is set up a network neighborhood on ME, which created a disc for me to set up a network on another computer, which i used on the 98 computer. After all this, the ME computer (called "Main") tells me it can't browse the network when i try to open network neighborhood, and the 98 (named "Pete1) will recognize that the ME computer is on the network, but tells me "\\Main is not accessible. The computer or sharename cannot be found. Make sure you typed it correctly, and try again." They're both in the same work group, and ive tried changing Primary Network Log-In between Client For Microsoft Networks and Windows Login, and nothing has improved. any advice?

Pete

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Pete
    Make sure you have a folder set to share residing on both computers and of course the setting in network is set for file and print sharing set to files and printers. Then double check your workgroups and name settings. After you are comfortable all the above is correct then on the WinME machine go to control panel\network and click "add" then "protocol". Select Netbeui and then OK. Do same for Win98 machine. Restart both machine and see if you can communicate now.

Dave

PS: Client for Microsoft networks is the log-in

3. Pyrosx1

Pyrosx1 Thread Starter

Thanks man, that helped me with sharing files and my printer. Everything seems to be working now. One question though, if I set both computers to Windows Login, so i don't have to type in my password (that i dont even have) every time, will that mess anything up?

Pete

4. darkjedi

darkjedi

you have to log in to the network on both computers so you are part of the network otherwise ,you'll be log on locally adn won't be able to share anything , also I don't think you need netbeui as a protocol it will create broadcast that will slow your connection

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Pete
    Glad all is up and running for you. You will have to put up with the Network log on when windows starts since it is part of the networking protocol.
    As far as Netbeui...... Well the little bit that the communications may be slowed between computers on the network is a very small price to pay for the tempermental attitude TCP\IP protocol has.

Darkjedi
    As I respect your opinion that TCP\IP can be played around with to get it to work I prefer a more stable solution for home networks.
    We will let Pete be the judge whether or not Netbeui serves his needs in simplicity, security, and speed.
    I use it on all of the through router networks I maintain and have had no complaints from any users nor network downtime directly attributed to that protocol except for one self inficted incident. Even several Win98\WinME crossover cable connections required Netbeui and I might add that was Microsofts direct suggestion\solution.

Pete
    Will consider matter solved and again glad we could help you.

Dave

6. darkjedi

darkjedi

Dave you are right netbeui is a more simple protocol to use , but I prefer tcp ip , the great thing about this forums is we can all share our opinions , one question, you mention that you are able to route netbeui , are you using tcp ip and netbeui as your protocols? if not how are you doing it ? ist netbeui non routeable I

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Darkjedi
    You are correct netbeui is not routable. My statement should of been more explicit. Through localized routed networks would of been a better statement.

Dave

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice