1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Networking for 3 computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joemoshi, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joemoshi

joemoshi Thread Starter

I have 3 computers at home as follows:
    PC with Vista 64 connected via cable to the router
    Laptop Windows 7 wireless
    Laptop Windows 8.1 wireless.

I had a network that worked fine but after doing a refresh to one of the laptops and a recovery to the PC, the network does not work anymore. I made sure that each computer has its name and all the 3 have the same network password. There is no windows password on any of computers. I tried everything I know to no avail. I can see the other computers on the screen but cannot connect. When I try to connect I am asked for my credentials but the logon is unsuccessful.

Could someone guide me to solve this problem? Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "the network does not work"? I infer that you are probably talking about file and printer sharing. If so, note that Vista does not like to share unless it and the other computer(s) have at least one password protected user account.

3. joemoshi

joemoshi Thread Starter

Excuse my ignorance. Yes I mean file sharing. I have already tried using windows password (user account) on at least 2 of the computers without success. I must have done something wrong.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you tried "Turn off password protected sharing"?

5. joemoshi

joemoshi Thread Starter

I just tried to turn off the password with laptop windows 8.1. It did not allow it.

6. joemoshi

joemoshi Thread Starter

I left the homegroup (file sharing) on all computers and rejoined a new homegroup (the same name) but still the logon fails. Any other ideas? Thanks.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    At the risk of repeating myself: Have you tried "Turn off password protected sharing"?

Vista does not support Homegroups. Homegroup was first introduced in Windows 7.

8. joemoshi

joemoshi Thread Starter

I have answered your question about turning off the sharing password on Feb 11. On the laptop windows 8.1 I started removing the password but it would allow me to proceed unless I write another password.
    What is curious is that sharing worked fine especially between Vista and the other laptops, of course until I did a refresh on the 8.1 and recovery on Vista.
    All 3 computers see the other computers. It is the logon that fails every time. I asks for user name and the password. The user name is the same on all computers. The password for the Homegroup is the same for all computers.
    I tried to add a password for startup and used it this password to logon but it still failed.

P.S. Vista does not have a password for file sharing.

Perhaps I should erase everything regarding the homegroup and start from the beginning, but I do not know how.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I do not understand that. When you select "Turn off password protected sharing" instead of the default "Turn on password protected sharing" there should be no removal of password nor prompt for another one. Either you are doing something different, or your Windows 8.1 is badly messed up.

Vista does not support Homegroups. Homegroup was first introduced in Windows 7. If you want to include the Vista system you need to use the "traditional" file and printer sharing. You should forget Homegroups where Vista or an earlier Windows version is involved, and perhaps set up file and printer sharing from the beginning ...

Short description for Vista file sharing.

Go into the network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private.' In the Sharing and Discovery section you can configure File sharing, Public folder sharing (similar to Shared Documents in previous Windows), Printer sharing and Password protected sharing.

You may want to change the Workgroup name. To check it or change it right click on "Computer" and select "Properties."

Vista requires that a user account be password protected before it will permit file sharing.

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

Short description for Windows 7 and 8 file and printer sharing:

Go into the Network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private' (or 'Home' or 'Work'). Click on Change advanced sharing settings. In the Private or Home or Work section you can configure File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, and Password protected sharing.

You may want to change the Workgroup name. To check it or change it right click on "Computer" and select "Properties."

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

10. joemoshi

joemoshi Thread Starter

It worked. Great. Thank you for your patience. Now all 3 computers are sharing. The laptops share with the PC and each other, however the PC still has logon problem when trying to access the laptops.
    Thank you again.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!