1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Networking Issues (2 Computers)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by arsohn, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arsohn

arsohn Thread Starter

I've been having this headache for awhile now, I have an IBM Thinkpad Laptop and a Desktop PC (see specs below) and both are running WinXP SP2. I've been trying to setup a network between the two computers for sometime now and have had no real success. I have been able to play certain lan games if it has a direct connect option, but only if the Desktop is the host and the laptop is the one connecting. The other issue is, in the network connections folder on the Desktop PC everything is fine as far as the connection goes on the laptop however, the icon for the Lan connection has an exclamation sign next to it and says something to the extent of "waring this connection has either limited or no connection status" and if I try and repair the connection it just sits there for awhile thinking and then another error message pops up saying "Repair failed, IP address not available" But I know that the connection is fine because I have been able to play a few games by hosting on the desktop PC and on the Desktop in the network connections folder it shows a steady flow between data packets sent and received on the laptop however only data packets are being sent, not received. Now I am using one of those Ethernet Crossover things, but it was store bought not home-made and I've had my friend test it on his two computers and it works fine, also if I can fix this problem I'd love to be able to transfer files to and from both computers via the lan connection however besides spending money on software I have been unable to figure out how to do this, I've tried the WinXp File and Settings Transfer program but have never had any luck with that. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll edit the thread with screenshots of everything I'm talking about for those who need a bit better illustration then the one I've giving. Also the only thing I can think that I might need to do, is to manually create an IP address, subnet mask, etc. if that is the case, how in the heck would I do that? Thanks!

Networking Devices:
    Gigabit LAN(with nVIDIA Gigabit Ethernet) for Desktop and Gigabeth Ethernet on Laptop, connected using RJ45 Crossover Cable bought at Bestbuy, Geeksquad brand.

***Laptop Specs***
    IBM Thinkpad T-42 745 Enhanced Model
    Intel Pentium M 745 1.8GHz Processor
    768mb DDR SDRAM
    40GB Hardrive
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
    15" TFT Screen
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 64mb
    802.11g Wireless Lan and Gigabit Ethernet Port
    Integrated bluetooth
    56k Fax/Modem
    WinXP SP2
    550 Watt Power
    768mb Kingston Memory
    WD 250G SATA Hard Drive
    LANPARTY UT n3 250GB Motherboard
    ATI 9800 PRO 256mb AGPx8 Graphics Card
    BIOS-Original With Board
    WinXP SP2
    Onboard Sound

2. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

hey there,

Are both machines in the same network?

Have you given both machines IP addresses in the same range?

3. arsohn

arsohn Thread Starter

Yeah I guess winxp automatically configures the connection, now in the TCP/IP settings It is currently labled as Assign IP address automatically, on the desktop this is all fine, however on the laptop it always gets an "unable to assign IP address" error, is it possible for me to create my own IP addresses? I know there is the option in the properties tabs on the TCP/IP settings, where you can manually configure your own address.

4. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

No, you have the assign the ip addresses. It will only obtain them automatically if you have a dhcp server assigning them for you, which I assume you dont.

Give comp 1 the address : 192.168.0.1
    Give comp 2 the address : 192.168.0.2

Both subnets should be : 255.255.255.0

And ignore the rest, leave em blank, unless you intend sharing the internet across them...or setting up a domain :p

And make sure they're in the same workgroup

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All machines are must be in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.0.x where x is any number. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 for most small networks.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

6. arsohn

arsohn Thread Starter

Hey Thanks for the assistance, I had to check the NETBIOS, and ping a few times and it finally got through, I'm enjoy my 1gig file transfer speeds and lag free gaming as we speak!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I guess you we can consider this one solved. I'll mark this one, you do the next one. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/383107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice