1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Networking issues (Old network new router)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Puggy_, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Puggy_

Puggy_ Thread Starter

Here's the set up.

I want to connect my parent's computer (Win XP) to my computer (Win 2K Pro) via a D-link router to the internet. Problem is when i hook up the router i get no internet connectivity at all. Now i had at one point gotten these two computers to jive together but that was with a different router all together.

What i need to know is:

Do i need to delete the old network from the computers? (If it's possible)

Under my network connections why do i have "Internet gateway" with a "Internet connection" that is disabled? and why when i attempt to change it in any way i can not delete it or it comes up with the error message "The internet connection sharing computer is not configured to let network users control or disable the shared internet connection. THis can be changed in the advanced properties of the shared connection on the internet connection sharing computer." when this was the computer that was the "Main computer"?

Some information:
    My ISP is qwest or in some places US west

This computer is windows XP with servicepack 2

My computer is Windows 2000 with service pack 4 (If i remember correctly)

My new router is a D-link EBR-2310

My old router along with any information has been long since lost with no hopes of finding it.

I have attempted the install of this new router about 10 times and have had little to no sucess.

Step-By-Step install process with router reset.

Current setup Phone line to DSL modem, Modem to computer (Blue wire) Power is on and the lights for Power, DSL, Internet and Ethernet are all solid green. Router is currently powered off with a cord in the internet slot waiting to be placed in the modem (Yellow wire)

Current firewall is ZoneAlarm it is disabled / shut down.

Insert the CDROM given with the router and click "install router"

I choose my language (English) and click next.

The program now checks my network adapter and it show's that it is enabled.

Then checks my internet connection and it is "OK" I then click next to move on.

It now tells me that it has discoverd that i am already connected to a router (Long since gone) and the program asks me if i am replaceing an existing router. I answer yes.

A 6 step process comes up.

1. Unplug the power cable from your old router and remove it's power supply. Done a long time ago. Click next
    2. Turn off or unplug power to your cable or DSL modem. I press the power button on my DSL modem, then click next. I get a bubble that tells me a network cable is unplugged.
    3. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the port labeled "wan" or "Internet" on the back of the old router. Next plug this into the grey port labeled "wan" or "internet" on your new D-link router. Click next (I plug the yellow cord from the router to the modem after removeing the blue cable. then click next.)
    4. Disconnect all remaining ethernet cables from the back of your old router and plug them into the blue ports on your new router. Click next (Blue cord into number 1 spot.) Click next.
    5. Reconnect the power to your modem. wait 30 seconds before continueing. (I wait untill the DSL and Power along with the internet lights get solid. The DSL light goes solid 3 minuets after the start. The internet light follows shortly after. I click next.
    6. Connect the power supply to the power chord and plug it into the router. I then click next.

Then a router check ensues. It checks if the network is avalible and it is. It then restarts the network then it checks the firmware and that's OK now it is checking for router conflicts this has taken up to 2 minuets.

Then it asks me a yes or no question about an account name and password. I do not need these to get to the internet and never have. so i select no and then click next.

Then it asks me if i have had an assigned static IP address. the answer is no. i then click next.

I then get an error: 111 no internet connection.

I then plug the blue cable back into the modem so i can get back on the internet to post this. and research the error code.

If there is any thing you need from me by way of info from my system (That's pertenit to this issue) let me know.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm guessing that your DSL "modem" is a DSL modem/router combo, and that it and your D-Link router are using the same LAN subnet. But let's get some information.

What is the brand and model of your DSL modem or modem/router? Also, while connected to it please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. Puggy_

Puggy_ Thread Starter

The modem is just that a modem. Its a Actiontec GT701

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ***** (Edited)
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.actdsltmp

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-6E-69-E7-15
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20c:6eff:fe69:e715%4
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 10, 2008 6:28:24 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 11, 2008 6:28:24 AM

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-00-02
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.2%2
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

This is taken from the XP system that -IS- Hooked up to the internet.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. Puggy_

Puggy_ Thread Starter

Well that one in your link has a wireless gateway. Mine does not. So i just assume that it is just a plain old modem. Because it just says "Modem# GT701"

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Looking at your Gateway=Dhcp server=DNS server=192.168.0.1 I assume that it is a modem/router combo. I also assume that your D-Link uses the same LAN subnet.

Reset the D-Link to factory default settings. Then ...

Option 1 -- connect a computer to it, login and change the LAN address to something else, such as 192.168.3.1. Change the Dhcp server addresses also to start 192.168.3. Then you can connect its WAN port to the GT701.

Option 2 -- JohnWill's procedure for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

7. Puggy_

Puggy_ Thread Starter

wow... just wow i can not belive it was just one frakkin number. I used option #1 in the last post. This is solved thank you both.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're quite welcome. :) I think that it is really wrong for some manufacturers to label as simply 'modem' a device that includes a router function.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/711067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice