Solved: Networking printer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

golddust

I know there are network and non-network printers, but I was wondering if it is possible to convert a non-network printer to a network printer. What would I have to do? We will be networking (wireless ) our two computers and have a perfectly good non-network inkjet (HP officejet v40). It would be great if there was something I could get to add on to the printer to make it work within the network.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
connect the printer to a pc.
Make sure file and printer sharing is installed on the Pc.
share the printer.

Or go out and buy a cheap Print server. dlink has a few cheap ones and put it on your network like that.

TerryNet

Terry
If you buy a print server, make sure it and your printer are compatible.

To begin with you have to make sure they have the same connection type--probably USB or parallel. And, I'm not sure that all printers can be used with a print server; Squashman probably knows the answer to this.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
TerryNet said:
If you buy a print server, make sure it and your printer are compatible.

To begin with you have to make sure they have the same connection type--probably USB or parallel. And, I'm not sure that all printers can be used with a print server; Squashman probably knows the answer to this.
yes, I have had issues with Inkjets printers on Print servers. I know Dlink has a list of printers that work with their Print servers. lasers usually work flawlessly.

I would go the file and Printer sharing route if it is an Inkjet. That is what I do for mine at home. all my lasers are network printers.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If the printer uses the Windows GDI text rendering, it won't work on a print server. Many ink-jets, and a considerable number of cheap laser printers are so blessed. :)

golddust

Squashman said:
connect the printer to a pc.
Make sure file and printer sharing is installed on the Pc.
share the printer.

Or go out and buy a cheap Print server. dlink has a few cheap ones and put it on your network like that.

Will probably go the 'cheapie' route and use file and print sharing. I'm curious though how the printer is going to be recognized. Will the print job be sent to the other computer and then printed from there? I know it can't go directly to the printer. I'm assuming I'd have to send it to the other computer, access that computer over the network and then print (I had some networking 'education' on the job working in a high school computer lab, but it was pretty sketchy).

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, the computer with the printer attached is the "print server" in this scenario, and it manages the printer. Obviously, that computer has to be turned on for the printer to be used remotely. :)

TerryNet

Terry
"I'm assuming I'd have to send it to the other computer, access that computer over the network and then print ..."

You print normally, and do not have to explicitly access the other computer. As JohnWill said, the other computer does have to be on and connected to your network.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online