1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Networking Routing? Users on One router don't see files on another?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by off1c3r, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. off1c3r

off1c3r Thread Starter

Hi

This may seem silly and I don't know why I never bothered to figure out why this is, but I hope I can get an answer here..

My network is a cable modem -> Linksys befsr41 -> HP procurve 1800, VOIP, main computer.

At the HP procurve 1800, I have 3 comps, 3 gaming devices, and in the last 2 slots, i have a wire carrying over to another procurve 1800, and to a wireless router. Now heres the question. Any computer connected to my linksys router, or the procurves, see my netgear readynas pro server array and shared drives. However, anyone connecting to the wireless router, do NOT see those shares. I am trying to figure out what routing or what settings need to be done so people who connect via the wireless router can see the shares from the readynas pro on my procurves?

I hope I explained it well enough..

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is the main computer connected through a VoIP adapter? If so, fix that and connect it directly to the HP switch.

As far as the wireless router, the problem there is a second NAT layer. Configure that router as a WAP with the procedure below, and you'll eliminate that NAT layer and allow connections to those wireless machines.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

3. off1c3r

off1c3r Thread Starter

Hi, thank you very much for the reply. No the main computer goes directly into my BEFSR41, I actually moved it to my procurve though. Right now the only 2 things going into my befsr41 is port 1 from the procurve to port 1 on the bersr41, and the voip box goes into port 2 of the befsr41.

I am going to try this procedure as soon as I get home. it sounds like this is going to do it, because its something I definantly did NOT try.

Heres an image of everything minus the linksys router/ voip

http://i45.tinypic.com/2i1lesn.jpg

A little messy, but on procurve lan port 1 is the connection to the befsr41, port 2 goes to the wireless router, 3 is my main comp, 4 is the nas, 5,6,7 are other devices and 8 used to be where i daisy chained to the nxt procurve. As far as I remember anything on the 2nd procurve saw the nas on the first procurve.. but If I am wrong, is there any special kind of settings I should do on the 2nd procurve to achieve this kind of setup?

Thanks

4. JohnWill

I'd say that one switch doesn't really have much of a reason to be there. :D If these are set at their defaults, they should act as dumb switches, which seems to be what you need here.

5. off1c3r

off1c3r Thread Starter

Haha.. well I actually have 3 more things to connect, so thats why I needed to expand, but I didn't want to get the 24 port procurve =)

6. JohnWill

How are you doing on the main reason for posting? :)

7. off1c3r

off1c3r Thread Starter

Hey..

Ok my main router is 192.168.1.1 as its starting IP, and has a range of 49 available so it goes up to 192.168.1.149.

That is connected to the procurve switch.

MY dlink router is connected to the procurve.

I followed the procedure, and did all those settings but now my wireless devices say limited or no connectivity. I am thinking I should have applied the settings in the first steps to mimic the procurve switch and not my top layer router. If the dlink wireless router was direct connected to my linksys then I guess thats the correct procedure.. But I have to connect to my switch and get those settings, and then mimic that to the wireless router? After the procedure was done, I have limited connectivity, and I can't even access my routers config page. I have to do a factory reset.

8. off1c3r

off1c3r Thread Starter

I am sorry to make things worse, but no matter what I try, I can't even access the procurve switches.. The default IP is 192.168.2.10 and I tried it and no connection.. I factory reset, nothing. I factory reset, unplugged everything and plugged one computer to the switch and it says limited or no connectivity and I cant even access it. I plug all computers into switch, and they all say limited or no connectivity until I connect port 8 to my router (befsr41) which is connected to the internet and then all devices get connectivity.. but I still cant access the switch. I've seen this problem before but I can't even think of how to handle it.. If it helps at all, on the befsr41, which I can access via 192.168.1.1 when connected to my procurve switch, on the dhcp list, i see every device connected to the switch ias 192.168.1.xxx . As if it was directly connected to the router and not the switch.

Thanks for any help

edit: its 6am and It just hit me I might have to manually assign the IP to my computer so it may connect to the switch. It just didn't occur to me because I never had to do that in the past... I'll try tomorrow

9. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Because, all your devices are on subnet 192.168.1.0 and I bet the subnet mask is /24 or 255.255.255.0. If this is the case, 192.168.2.0 (and I also bet the subnet mask is /24) is on a different subnet/network. You need a router which has an interface on both subnets to be about to route traffic properly. If you just want to get into the management GUI of the ProCurve switches, just temporarily assign a static IP address to a computer connected to one of the switch ports with an address of something like 192.168.2.50 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Don't worry about assigning a default gateway. This will get you the ability to communicate to the ProCurve switches. But make sure you disconnect one of the ProCurve switches....probably best to disconnect the second ProCurve uplinked to the first as both switches are probably on the same IP address and are conflicting with each other. Once you have the IP set on the first ProCurve, connect the second and repeat the procedure.

The reason why you got no connectivity with the network devices until the BEFSR41 was connected is because all your network devices are configured for DHCP. Your BEFSR41 is your DHCP server for the network. Without it, none of your network devices will get a "valid" IP address. If they are Windows boxes, then the IP they will get is some sort of 169. address.

10. off1c3r

off1c3r Thread Starter

Ahh.. That makes sense. I am going to try that and I know its going to work but even with all the factory resets on the procurve, why wouldn't it allow just regular lan traffic and assign ips out with the connected computers.. thats whats so weird for me. After factory resets, it should work right out of the box? Once I hook up I'll see the settings.

11. zx10guy

Yes, it is strange. Managed switches by default should run as a basic dumb switch would. All ports would be running on the default VLAN of 1. Now, you would have issues trying to get to the management interfaces of both switches if you hadn't set a unique IP for each one before connecting them together. But that issue should only affect connectivity to the management interface of both managed switches.

I know this is redundant, but could you put up some sort of network diagram for your network to include IP addresses? This may help to figure out what is going on here.

12. off1c3r

off1c3r Thread Starter

I just threw this together quick .. I Hope it makes it easier to understand. I again appreciate all the information you guys are giving me and the help. This is the first forum that actually understand the kind of networking I am doing.(I've posted to others before with no luck)
    http://i50.tinypic.com/ej8zf4.jpg

I forgot to add, but i said it before, that when connected to the procurve 1, all ips are based off the befsr41 linksys router: all are 192.168.1.xxx

13. zx10guy

Do you have the connection to the DLink from the ProCurve switch connected to the LAN port of the DLink or the WAN port?

14. off1c3r

off1c3r Thread Starter

In the old setup, it was always the wan port. When trying to fix the problem in my original question, I moved it to the lan port, but it was always the wan..

15. off1c3r

off1c3r Thread Starter

I connected a laptop to the procurve, internet was working, assigned static ip of 192.168.2.50, internet, share drives, computers all dropped but i was able to access the switch management panel, with my original password.. which is strange because I did the reset procedure 3 times. (unpower, plug ethernet cable into ports 1 and 2, power on, wait 40 sec, after all the blinking lights are done)

Should I continue to have my router as the sole dhcp? Should my procurves have dhcp enabled?

I guess in general, should I leave my linksys router to assign all ips based on the 192.168.1.xxx and have my switches (with individual ips) daisy chained, and my wireless router with DHCP OFF connected via lan (Not wan) port to the procurve, and everyone on the network will be happy ? (and if i wanted to connect to web panel, I assign the static ip).. and I am guessing assigning the IP of the switc (while keeping DHCP OFF), to a 192.168.1.xxx IP might screw things up. As another side note, when the wireless router was setup, and it was running out the wan port to the lan of the procurve. I was able to connect to the wireless routers admin page fine but I am guessing once I Do this procedure, I would have to do another static ip to get to it ..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice