1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Networking two computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by flasharry, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

Hi guys, i got a network prob,
    my daughter gave me her computer etc, she got a laptop. I tried to connect her PC to mine so my son can play his World of Warcraft game, and stop him hogging my PC.
    I ran the home network wizard, named each computer, gave them the same network group name, and all that stuff. I have a modem, router, and switch hub, all connected correctly. I've configured some folders to sharing on both PC's, and they are both sharing my internet connection.
    the problem is my PC's are not recognising each other,if i click on 'view workgroup computers' only PC 2 icon comes up on PC 2, if i view workgroup computers on PC 1
    i get a message 'you may not have permission to use this resource contact admin'
    i've tried to find a solution on google, but all solutions i find are very technical, and i am not very computer literate, can anyone give a simple answer to this dummy??

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Note: You will need to post complete details of your configuration and your specific issue in this new thread for us to help you.

Thanks for your cooperation.

3. JohnWill

If you have a router, you don't need to configure anything on your machine to allow him Internet access.

What are you really trying to do? How are all of these units connected exactly?

What is the exact make/model of the modem and router? What versions of Windows are you running on each of the machines?

4. mattig89ch

mattig89ch

It could be a router issue, or a windows firewall issue. I would try to create a different work group and put both machines in it. also, is your daughters computer set to allow people to connect to the internet through her computer? I think thats in the NIC settings (right click on your NIC, properties and in there somewhere).

5. JohnWill

Well, it would be nice if we knew if there was even a router involved before we blame the router. ;)

6. mattig89ch

mattig89ch

just so I can, here's a quote from his very first post:

"I ran the home network wizard, named each computer, gave them the same network group name, and all that stuff. I have a modem, router, and switch hub, all connected correctly. I've configured some folders to sharing on both PC's, and they are both sharing my internet connection."

:p

The last time I had a problem with this it was my windows firewall that was getting in the way. thats why i'm leaning toward that option, but I can't make any more guesses until we have more data.

7. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

I disconnected my windows and AVG firewalls. why do you need data? the pc's are sharing my internet connection, so the router, modem, and hub must be ok, one pc is finding it's own icon, the other says i need permissions, do i need an extra ethernet card in both, and a ethernet cable connecting them?
    it's the permissions thing that's got me stumped.
    my modem is supplied by Virgin Media, and is cable fed.
    my router is a Linksys etherfast cable\dsl router.
    my hub\switch is a Newlink 5port 10\100m fast ethernet switch, and i have two ethernet cables one to each pc and they blink merrily away.

thanx for your patience guys, i'm fast running out of mine, i don't know why i bother really, i can access the net on them both, it's just that when something is not right it niggles me til its put right, if you see what i mean....bill.

sorry i forgot to tell you that pc1 is running XP pro and 2 is running XP home.

8. JohnWill

Sorry, got off the track here. Let's see if we can get them talking.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
    or
    PING <computer name>

Where:
    <ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
    <computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

9. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

all started automatic except remote procedure call

10. xAndehx

xAndehx

flasharry did you ping the machines like suggested?

what was the result?

11. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

A permission issue has nothing to do with the network. It's giving you that because you have a peer-to-peer network. The message you are getting is correct--you really don't have permission to the other computer.

The Fix:
    Create a user account with the same name and password of the first computer on the second computer. The user name and password must match (note that blank passwords don't match). Do the same in reverse--that is, create a user account on the second computer with the same user name and password of the logged in user on the first computer.

Why? When you come across a network on a peer-to-peer network, that computer will look in its own database (called a SAM) for your user name and password. If it doesn't find it, you are denied permission. The computer does not trust the other computer. That's the point of a peer-to-peer network. If you want one account for both logins, you either duplicate the accounts on all machines, or you create a client/server network.

By the way, putting computers in the same workgroup is a convenience, not a requirement; it has nothing to do with sharing files, security, or anything else. It just makes finding other computers easier.

Courtney

12. xAndehx

xAndehx

courtneys hit the nail on the head, thats probably the issue your having.

13. JohnWill

See the earlier post, one of the suggestions is to create a matching user account. ;)

14. flasharry

flasharry Thread Starter

OMG, you guys know your stuff, don't you :D

I checked services, and found 'network connections' were manual, and so was 'network awareness' I changed these to automatic, and now i get the two icons on each PC in workgroup. I changed the username and password so both are the same.
    I tried pinging, as suggested by johnwill, but i only get 'documents and settings/bill, (my username), i'm not very good at dos :( I've got a book I bought years ago called 'Dos for dummies' hmmmm very apt!! so i will have a read of that.
    Thanx very much for your help guys :)

15. JohnWill

So, where are you now? Connected? Not Connected?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!