1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: networking Vista and WIN98

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tandanus, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tandanus

tandanus Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a WIN98 machine connected to a modem/router and now also a Vista machine is connected. Both are able to see each other in their respective networking sections (and the printer attached to the WIN98 machine is visible in the Vista networking section) and the internet works on both. But I just cant get either of them to share files (ie I cant get into the directory structures) and I cant get the Vista machine to print via the WIN98 machine. When my XP machine is connected up instead of the Vista machine everything works swimmingly. File and printer sharing is enabled on both machines, the Firewall is disabled on the WIN98 machine. The closest I came to getting the Vista machine to connect to the WIN98 machine was when it found it but then asked for a user and password (but the WIN98 machine doesnt have users). I tried all sorts of possible usernames (Administrator etc) but nothing seems to make the connection.
    I'm flummoxed – any ideas?
    T.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Not sure if this is your isse.

"If you cannot authenticate when accessing a shared folder from a Windows Vista-based computer on a computer running a version of Windows prior to Windows XP (such as Windows 98 or Windows 95), a computer running an operating system other than Microsoft Windows, or to a network device, the cause might be a mismatch in the configured support for NTLM 2, an authentication protocol that is used for file and printer sharing connections. By default, Windows Vista is configured to use NTLM 2.

To resolve this issue, you can do one of the following:

Enable NTLM 2 support on the computer or device to which the Windows Vista-based computer is attempting to connect. For computers running versions of Windows prior to Windows XP, see How to enable NTLM 2 authentication (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239869). For computers running operating systems other than Windows, see the operating system's product documentation for information about how to enable NTLM 2 support. For network devices, see the device's product documentation or Web site for information about how to enable NTLM 2 support or download a firmware update that supports NTLM 2. This is the preferred solution.

If you cannot update the computers running operating systems other than Windows or your network devices to support NTLM 2, change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel registry value on the computer running Windows Vista to 1. This solution is not recommended."

Found on this page under the heading: "Cannot Authenticate to a Shared Folder from a Windows Vista-based Computer"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

Some talk on the issue here
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=223119&messageID=2237601

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&fkt=1482&fsdt=10514&q=networking+Vista+and+windows+98&aq=f&oq=

3. tandanus

tandanus Thread Starter

Wow mumbodog,
    That's a great find !
    It might take me some time to do this but I'll let you know how I go...
    Thanks heaps
    T.

4. tandanus

tandanus Thread Starter

Streuth, 4 days later and I managed to do this. What were the Vista developers thinking? To network Vista and WIN98 I had to edit the registry, type at the C: prompt, rename my workgroups, turn off most of Vista's security systems, trick Vista into thinking the printer on the WIN98 machine was on a local port, map that port to the WIN98 machine etc etc. It just went on and on. And Vista still takes a minute to find the WIN98 machine. Busily downloading drivers for XP....
    Thanks to everyone here who posted articles on this, my heart-felt thoughts are with you all.
    T.

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Thats great news, I think! " turn off most of Vista's security systems"

You are welcome.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/776849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice