1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Networking with different O/S's

Discussion in 'Networking' started by thefrugalcpa, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thefrugalcpa

thefrugalcpa Thread Starter

Can I network a desktop using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, with a laptop that I plan to buy that uses Windows 7 Professional (also 64 bit)? Or do I have to upgrade the desktop to Win 7 Professional first?
    By networking (since ppl seem to mean different things when they talk about it), I mean full file sharing so that any work I do on one machine is automatically updated on the other.

If possible I would prefer not to upgrade my existing desktop since (a) it costs $89, and (b) I don't know if there would be any Lenovo desktop compatibility issues

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

They will work together without being upgraded. I run XP and win7 machines all together and they work fine as well

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Any 2 computers can be networked, even a Mac, Linux-based, or Windows. But only 7 supports the HomeGroup protocol. If you plan later to connect other machines or devices that do not use Win 7, you should avoid using it for your network.

4. thefrugalcpa

thefrugalcpa Thread Starter

Perfect, thank you all for saving me $89! The real problem is I have no clue how to network without using the Windows 7 Wizard, but I'll be back here if I encounter problems. This forum is outstanding!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice