1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] New 19" monitor causing computer to crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LooseCannon, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Thread Starter

Hi, I purchased a 19" NEC MultiSync 97F monitor yesterday and in my haste to connect it I didn't turn my computer off, just disconnected the old monitor and plugged the new one in. Not sure if this caused anything but now every five minutes or so my computer crashes.
    *Video card is seated properly, tried multiple refresh rates and updated all video and monitor drivers and still crashing.
    *When it crashes the monitor has a vertical white-coloured line in the middle of the screen before going out.
    *It seems to crash mostly when I open Internet Explorer or go to a new website if already in Explorer.
    *My CPU temp is at 150F which is really damn hot. ASUSA7V133 MB with an AMD 1.3GHz Athlon CPU.
    *My CPU fan is working, as is my video card fan. I noticed my other fan seated on my motherboard is NOT running.

What confuses me is that my computer has never crashed like this or had any cooling problems before. Then I hook up a new monitor and it starts crashing. I am at work at the moment so I still want to connect the old monitor and see if the problem persists. Is it possible that the new monitor sent a surge through and fried my fan? Or is the monitor itself causing my computer crash?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sponsor

3. n2gun

n2gun

If the computer works with the old monitor, I would try the new monitor on another computer. It is quite possible that you may have gotten a monitor with problems.

4. LooseCannon

Okay, thanks. I will try the old monitor once I get home. The new monitor was refurbished by the way.

5. jimi

jimi

monitor or not get the other fan running - a dead or stuck fan is never a good thing.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The "other fan" is probably on the processor chipset if it's on the MB. If it's installed, it's probably necessary for proper operation, I'd fix that FIRST, because it's probably the reason for the problems.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Ouch, if I'm not mistaken, I think that is too hot for even an AMD.......

8. SexyTech

SexyTech

Definately WAY TO HOT!

Might want to buy some Fire Insurance too! :D

9. LooseCannon

Thanks for the responses, all. It just seems like quite a coincidence that this all happened after I put the new monitor on. I will check on that fan and hopefully be able to fix it. It must be running over one of my chipsets, as you said. If I can't get it fixed are there any recommendations for a new fan to place there? Also, how about a case fan? Any recommendations for that kind?

10. LooseCannon

Okay I had to buy a new fan that goes over the North Bridge. The temperature problem is resolved and my computer isn't crashing but the monitor still turns off at random times. An inch thick white bar appears vertically in the middle of the monitor and then the monitor goes off. Afterwards I turn the monitor back on and it does the degauss function where the screen bounces around before realigning itself. Is this a monitor issue or a video card issue? I have a Geforce2 GTS Pro 64MB.

11. joe_joe133

joe_joe133

My AMD 1.4GHz runs at 138f

12. ~Candy~

I think I would tend to believe the monitor may have a problem. Can you test it on another machine? Or take it back to where you bought it and test it on their machine?

13. LooseCannon

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have tried the monitor on another computer and it kept turning itself off. So I will have to return the monitor now. I was just confused because my fan broke down and was causing my computer to crash RIGHT after I plugged the new monitor in. The two were unrelated but happened at the same time so that is what confused me. Anyway, case closed ;)

14. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

they were related you said you plugged in your monitor with a running computer. you just lucked out and only hurt your fan

15. ~Candy~

Yes, in the future, remember monitors aren't hot swappable :eek:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/147083