Solved: new 200 gig HD windows 98se says it's 137--- any way around this?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jrx10

it's a maxtor and this maxblast 4 software says that's all I can do. just wanted to know from the experts if that's the case? thx

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I believe it has something to do with the limitation of the BIOS not recognizing more than 137 GB. I read something about that a long time ago before hard drives got so large. Let me do a Google search on it and see what I can come up with.

----------------------------------------------------------------

This article and this article explains it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Is it the drive size limit of 137 gigs or the partition size limit.

For example, if you can create a single partition of 137 gigs, can you then create another partition that utilizes the rest of the hard drive. If so, then the BIOS recognizes the 200 gig drive.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Bob:

I'll pass to you, as you've got way more experience than me. I just remembered the 137 GB limitation, which is why I mentioned it.

Bob, isn't there something to do with 48-bit LBA and 98 that limits the drive to 137gig? I read something on that but it didn't sink in very deep. If I'm mistaken, please ignore.

jrx10

it appears to be the drive size. every time a try an partition the drive into 5 drives with nothing greater than 50 gig, the max-blast software stops me and says 137 gig is the total drive limit, and gives me the choice of redoing the partitions for a total of 137 gig or cancelling the process.

jrx10

according to everest home addition this intel MB has an 850i chipset. anyone had any experience in downloading this "intel application accelerator"? before I have to did myself out of a hole? and if I decided to download this accelerator what would be the best way to "go back" if there was a problem. thx.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Did you read thru my link above?

The following limitations exist using the FAT32 file system with Windows operating systems:

Clusters cannot be 64 kilobytes (KB) or larger. If clusters were 64 KB or larger, some programs (such as Setup programs) might calculate disk space incorrectly.

A volume must contain at least 65,527 clusters to use the FAT32 file system. You cannot increase the cluster size on a volume using the FAT32 file system so that it ends up with less than 65,527 clusters.

The maximum possible number of clusters on a volume using the FAT32 file system is 268,435,445. With a maximum of 32 KB per cluster with space for the file allocation table (FAT), this equates to a maximum disk size of approximately 8 terabytes (TB).

The ScanDisk tool included with Microsoft Windows 95 and Microsoft Windows 98 is a 16-bit program. Such programs have a single memory block maximum allocation size of 16 MB less 64 KB. Therefore, The Windows 95 or Windows 98 ScanDisk tool cannot process volumes using the FAT32 file system that have a FAT larger than 16 MB less 64 KB in size. A FAT entry on a volume using the FAT32 file system uses 4 bytes, so ScanDisk cannot process the FAT on a volume using the FAT32 file system that defines more than 4,177,920 clusters (including the two reserved clusters). Including the FATs themselves, this works out, at the maximum of 32 KB per cluster, to a volume size of 127.53 gigabytes (GB).

You cannot decrease the cluster size on a volume using the FAT32 file system so that the FAT ends up larger than 16 MB less 64 KB in size.

When attempting to format a FAT32 partition larger than 32 GB, the format fails near the end of the process with the following error: "Logical Disk Manager: Volume size too big."

and:

The ATA Interface Limit (128 GiB / 137 GB) Barrier

In order to avoid previous disk barriers and limitations, other than those imposed by the operating systems themselves, today's hard drives no longer rely upon discrete geometry (specific cylinder, head and sector numbers) and instead use logical block addressing and a sector number. Unfortunately, even when we move away from bit addressing in favor of head and sector numbers, we still reach the limit of our ability to address all of the bits when taken together. Let's take a look at the ATA interface. There are 28 bits used for the sector number interface with the operating system, BIOS and the hard disk. This means a hard disk can have a maximum of 2^28 or 268,435,456 sectors of 512 bytes, placing the ATA interface maximum at 128 GiB or approximately 137.4 GB.

As little as one or two years ago, no one thought there would be hard drives exceeding 137.4 GB. However, as many of you have seen, hard drive capacity surpassed this mark when Maxtor released their DiamondMax Plus 540X at 160 GB on October 29, 2001. Of course, Maxtor's release of a drive at 160 GB caught many techno-geeks off guard. How could they possibly make these huge drives work? Maxtor considered the 137 GB barrier well before releasing the drive as part of an entirely new initiative to take storage capacities into the petabyte region. To conquer the 137GB barrier, when Maxtor released their new drive, they made a new Ultra ATA/133 PCI adapter card available as part of the package. Believe it or not, for a limited period, the add-in card was "free". The adapter itself, however, was Maxtor's method of bringing these new drives to market and in the process temporarily solving the barrier problem without requiring users to purchase new computers to handle the new technology.

Significant changes have occurred to the ATA interface between the hard disk and the rest of the computer system in less than a year, and more are in the making. One entity charged with the responsibility of developing the new standards for this interface (and its changes) is Technical Committee T13. It is responsible for the coordination and development of all interface standards relating to the popular AT Attachment (ATA) storage interface utilized on most personal and mobile computers today. A few years ago a number of different proposals to expand ATA addressing from 28 bits to either 48 or 64 bits were made, and over those few years the committee examined each very closely. Either of these technology changes would permit huge drive sizes. The first to surface, however, was 48 bit addressing and delivered in the form of a hard drive at 160 GB by Maxtor. Using 48-bits like Maxtor takes drive sizes 100,000 times higher than current limits. This is most definitely a signal of what lies ahead!

jrx10

In order for you system to recognize more than 137 GB you will need to utilize one of the following recommended solutions:

-------If you have a motherboard that has a Intel chipset (810, 810E, 810E2, 815, 815, 815E, 815EP, 815P, 820, 820E, 830M, 830MP, 830MG, 840, 845,***** 850 ****, or 860) please visit Intel's web site and download the Intel Application Accelerator. Intel's Application Accelerator supports the full capacity of drives larger than 137 GB.-----
If you do not have a motherboard that has a Intel chipset then it is recommended that you purchase an Ultra ATA 133 PCI card that supports 48 bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA). You can purchase the Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 PCI Card, which supports drives that are larger than 137 GB, directly from us or your local distributor.
maybe I read this wrong, why would I want the pci card (btw, my pci slots are full), when this reads like the intel download will solve the 137GB problem. I'm no computer expert, so perhaps I am missing something here.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Never have used the intel download. I would keep the old drivers handy just in case.

The IAA works very well for most people. It contains optimized IDE drivers. In fact, one person couldn't even get into Safe Mode until it was installed.

And it appears that it is easily uninstalled.

jrx10

I would keep the old drivers handy just in case
before downloading the Intel Application Accelerator, is there an uncomplicated procedure for backing up the drivers that the IAA drivers will be replacing, so if there is a problem I can reinstall them. back up registry? driver guide toolkit? what's the best way to back up drivers? and then reinstall the original drivers if there's a screwup. thx

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online