1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New 200GB hdd... got some ??'s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PuterPerson, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PuterPerson

PuterPerson Thread Starter

I have a self-built (3 years ago) P4 CPU 1.80 Ghz processor on a MSI Intel 865PE Neo 2 Series mobo (AMI), (I also got the latest BIOS version as it had issues with the CPU temp and was not able to read larger hdd's over 137GB. Flashing went well, no problems.
    I got 1GB + 512MB RAM. WIN XP Pro with all the updates (incl. SP2). I installed all the MSI drivers and got updates from their website as well.
    No other hdd present as old one died and has been removed.

First attempt to install new hdd (200GB Maxtor 6L200PO):
    BIOS showed 203.9GB capacity, yet when partioning with fdisk, etc. it would only use about 63 GB, the rest just vanished.
    Tried again, and managed now to get 137GB. BIOS still showing 203.9GB.

Went to Maxtor site (btw. jumper was set where it was when I got it. I believe on CS, it shows up as Master in BIOS), got large disk enabler, got Max Blast 4 boot disk, and whatever else they had.
    Booted comp. with MaxBlast boot disk, partitioned it (gave me warning if I do more than 137GB, it may not work properly, etc.). I was able to partition 189GB (I tried to let Windows partition it, just to be sure and it would either get the 189, or only 63GB).
    I ran the enabler too, could not boot to it though, even though I created the boot disk...It will just give me a long continuous loud beep.
    Oh, and did the diagn. tests that came with Maxtor boot disk, all passed.

Anyway, where I stand now is that I have a BASIC NTFS partition, 189.92 GB capacity, after installing some programs incl. MS office as well as Norton IS, I am at 179.28GB with 94% free disk space.

1) Does this sound right?

2) Now, where did the other 11GB's go? This may be a dumb question, but I am just curious., since the BIOS still shows over 200 and so did the Maxtor disk.

3) Also, for some reason, I have been getting a blue screen telling me something about starting to dump physical memory which will force me to do a brutal shutdown as it seems frozen. It comes out of no-where (did twice so far). What causes that?

4) I was going to have the MSI live monitor run to keep a check on all the temps, etc., but all of a sudden when starting the comp. I got some error msg and so I uninstalled it (I totally spaced to write down those msg's, please forgive me). Now, those errors stopped since uninstalling the live monitor.

5) When getting the MS and Windows updates, I got a new driver for my video card, yet after rebooting, it started me in safe mode and had the screen resolution totally messed up. I then did a driver roll-back and noticed that the update was older (2003) than what I had in the first place. NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400. Driver version 5.6.7.3 (4/7/2004). Now, I only installed the driver from the MSI disk (about 3 years old), not sure where the 2004 version came from, unless it was one of the updates on the MSI site, I do not recall, sorry.
    So, do I leave that driver update alone then, or is there some setting I need to adjust. Please advise.

The thing is, that I was excited to have installed a new huge hdd and to start my system all fresh, but now with the blue screen running (and a few other sluggish moments at times), I am not trusting it yet. I would be mad if I install everything, all updates, etc. and then something goes wrong.
    So, please tell me if I forgot something or if there is a way to adjust whatever needs to be adjusted.
    I did set the BIOS to the default settings (the updated version that is) as I remember the blue screen suggesting something like disabling the cache or something...

Sorry for this long request, but I am tired and want this darn thing to work again like it used to when I had my 80GB hdd on it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    189Gb is about right for an advertized 200 Gb hard drive. The problem is in the format size. 200Gb is a decimal 10 size. Where computers use Binary or base 2 numbers.

3. PuterPerson

That's what I almost thought, but I was not sure. Ok, thanks. One thing off my list.

4. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon

Here's some help:

1. The DOS version of FDISK for Windows 98 / Me have a bug of not being able to see more than 64 GB of space, MS released a fixed version but I don't think that even that can read a 200 GB drive, but using them won't damage the drive either.

2. The 2004 version of the nVidia display driver comes built in Windows XP as of Service Pack 2, the one on the CD will be older that this. It is recommended to get an updated driver from nVidia's website.

3. The large drive enabler is only necessary for very old BIOS(es), once you flashed your Mainboard, you should no longer need it.

4. The blue screen of death appears when Windows encounters a critical error. It would help if you can write down the Error code that appears (eg: STOP 0x0000007B ...etc.).

If your PC restarts automatically after showing a blue screen, you can set it to not do that by right-clicking "My Computer" > Properties > Advanced > StartUp and Recovery Section > "Settings" > Remove checkmark from "Automatically Restart".

The error code usually helps in identifying the cause of the BSOD, it may be failing RAM, or an incompatible device driver...etc. but first find out the error code.

Hope this helps...

5. PuterPerson

Thank you so much!! That helped clear up a few things for sure.

I will try to get the entire info next time the blue screen shows up. It was a lot of info. It does NOT restart, it appears frozen (or it's in the process of dumping physical memory), I am not sure. I can't even turn the computer off, I have to pretty much just shut if off on the tower itself.

I did find out that the little error windows I got, were MSI live related as I was trying to go to their site and it happened again. I remember this happening 3 years ago as well and ended up never using any of their stuff.

Thanks again and should I get the blue screen, I'll be sure to get you the info on it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!