1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: new 320gb scorpio blue wd3200bpvt drive not detecting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PK-her0, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi guys i have a scorpio blue 320gb hdd that can store files, be formatted etc
    but no windows 7 / vista machine will see the drive during installation

is the drive poked?

drivers?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

If it's not detectable by multiple computers then yes it's likely faulty.

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi trip6 is it possible that the drive can hold and transfer files etc but not work during a windows install? those wd scorpio blue drives are pure rubbish

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

I've edited your post for language, you've been here long enough to know that even disguised profanity is not allowed.

Have you run the WD Lifeguard diagnostics? Are the computers you are trying completely different?

5. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi trip sorry frustration got the better of me!!! forgot that this was a family show!!! WHA (wont happen again!!!) i tried the drive in a toshiba and a sony, trying to install vista on the sony, win 7 on the tosh...same thing

i dont think there are drivers that need loading are there?

thanks for your help...sorry again

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

No drivers needed unless your motherboard is old enough not to cope with SATA drives.

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

The Scorpio is WD's laptop line. You couldn't connect a SATA device in a laptop designed for IDE.

I have seen where Intel Chipset drivers needed to be updated on a laptop, but that was after OS installation. It was failing Windows Updates after using the factory provided Recovery disks. Apparently the newer drives required the update for full functionality, but the OS still installed. That one took a while to find!

PK, can you run the WD diags on it while installed in a laptop? The UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) <http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/> contains several mfr diags on a bootable CD.

8. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

will do thanks for input guys!!!

9. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

it failed a seatools test almost immediatly...strange cause if i plug it in i can copy files etc...weird
    but i wont trust it with critical data

thanks all

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

Not a good sign! You're right not to trust it very far ...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1079811