Solved: New 4 gig ram reporting as 2.5 gig

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

markdask1

Hi - I bought 2x2 gig ddr2 533 ram and installed it- but my comp is saying I only have 2.5 gig. I have tested each stick individually and both report two gig - I have also checked both slots and they're working. I checked the manual for the motherboard and it says it can take 4 gig so why wont my comp recognise the full 4 gig? Thanks

Where are you looking to get the figure of 2.5GB ?

A 32bit OS will not use the full amount and you may be confusing the figures between installed RAM and available RAM.

A 64bit OS, on the other hand, will use the full 4GB.

markdask1

the OS is windows 7 so its pretty recent not sure on the (X)bit though - it says 2.5gig when i go into systems in control panel.

crjdriver

It tells you right there in control panel>system what os is installed ie win7 32bit or 64bit. Post which one you have along with your hardware ie mb, what video card, etc, etc.

What does it say in your bios or during post regarding ram?

As you can see from the attachment (this is on my own PC) it shows the bit rate of the OS, the amount of RAM and available RAM. Send in a screenshot of yours so we can see it.

Attachments

markdask1

ahh wonderfull found it - aww only 32bit shame but thanks two you both atleast now i know what it was. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online