Solved: new account in thunderbird 3.0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kaylaartist

I am told by the new thunderbird 3.0 that getting a new email account/address is SO easy. yuh...I entered all the correct info the same as I entered it at Comcast(my internet acct), but when I try to enter it get the same message....wrong username or password. There isn't even a place to enter username, and I checked the password on the account!!! Please help. There isn't even a phone number to call thunderbird support!
thank you

TerryNet

Terry
If you didn't enter your User Name that would definitely give you a problem. It's specified on the 'Server Settings' page for the account. It should be that part of your email address that precedes the @.

In the account wizard, if you set foo@example.com as your email address, when it comes time to automatically test the incoming and outgoing servers, Thunderbird will try 'foo' as the username and try server names based on example.com. If those are not correct (like if the username should be the full email address) and fail, you have to change them.

Click stop and adjust the settings. The "Username:" field is right above "Incoming". Also, if you need to use a different port, after editing the port field, tab to another field before clicking retest or it might not be honored because of a bug.

Also note that no matter what, if one or both of your servers don't support TLS, Thunderbird will warn you about them.

Also note that if you take too long to edit these settings, things might time out and no matter what you change isn't going to help.

Best bet is just to skip the new buggy dialog and choose manual setup.

kaylaartist

ok, I guess I didn't make myself clear. The NEW thunderbird asks for your name, email address you want, then a password....so all information is entered, you click continue and then verify. So you see, I chose an email address (obviously WITH a username, ie bob@comcast.net) then gave the password that I entered at comcast. So all tbird had to do was verify...and it told me the info is wrong. On the tbird website, this appears to be a common prob. which no one has the answer to...
It is not as complicated as you guys are making it. Actually, I reinstalled the old tbird and added the new account through the old (complicated) way, and now it transferred to the new tbird and all is well. The new tbird must have bugs.
thanks for your attempts to help. I appreciate it.
Karen

TerryNet

Terry
Now that you mention it, I got to Thunderbird 3 "through" 2, so I never knew there was wizard until I say Shadow2531's post. When I saw it I figured he was right on with "Best bet is just to skip the new buggy dialog and choose manual setup." :)

Thanks for posting your solution. You can mark this Solved using the button at the upper left of the page.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online