1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Anti-virus software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Starryblue2, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Starryblue2

Starryblue2 Thread Starter

I am trying to install a new antivirus program. I used to have norton 2006 and I uninstalled it and did a windows search to find any files associated with it and deleted them. I tried to install the antivirus program but It keeps telling me norton is still installed. So I contacted the company to ask why it is saying it is still installed and I was told that there are still files in the windows registry that need to be removed and that I have to contact the computer manufacturer on how to remove the rest of these files. I HATE contacting them because I am on the phone all day when I try to talk to someone there So I am hoping one of you will be able to tell me how I can delte the rest of the norton files and any other hidden norton files I may be missing.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. Starryblue2

It is a mcafee program. I spoke to someone and they told me to the following but there were no files associated with norton Or symantec there.

All Windows compatible programs must include an Uninstall program, sometimes though the program may get removed but entry in Add/Remove programs doesn't, from this key you can remove those orphaned entries.

Using Regedit open the key below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Its suggestible to take a backup of the registry, before modifying it.

REGISTRY BACKUP:
    ----------------

Click Start and click on Run.
    Type Regedit.
    From the File menu, click on Export Registry.
    Give a destination file (say Regbackup) and save it on to the Desktop.

KEY MODIFICATION:
    -----------------

Click '+' beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Click '+' beside Software.
    Click '+' beside Microsoft.
    Click '+' beside Windows.
    Click '+' beside Current Version.
    Click '+' beside Uninstall.

Under this key will be a number of sub-keys, each representing an installed application. To see which application each sub-key represents, open it and there should be at least two values "DisplayName" and "UninstallString."

"DisplayName" is the name used in the Add/Remove programs list, and "UninstallString" is the program used to uninstall the application. To remove a program from the list you can simple delete the sub-key representing that program.

4. TOGG

TOGG

Symantec provide a removal tool for their newer programs. Check it out; http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl= Note that there are some follow up steps to complete as well. I have also seen it suggested that it might be necessary to run this tool more than once, but I don't know if that's true.

You weren't asking for advice about a replacement for Norton, but if you had, I would suggest NOD32 or Kapersky. Some unkind people would claim that going from Norton to McAfee was jumping from the frying pan into the fire, but I couldn't possibly comment!

5. Starryblue2

I will definatly check out the programs you suggested, I was just tired of all the problems I was having with norton and figured mcafee would be better.

6. DCM1519

DCM1519

You might try getting Regseeker (freeware) and running it.

When it comes time to delete any registry entries, only delete the ones in green fonts.

This program is very aggressive and many of the ones in red fonts are needed and should not be deleted. I read those very carefully and only delete the ones that refer to documents that I know I have deleted or to programs that I have uninstalled.

Another less aggressive one is Easycleaner by ToniArts. It is also free and I have never had a problem with deleting everything they recommend. After running it, I have two others (Regclean and Systemsuite) and when they are run, they usually find a few more to get rid of.

If you are comforable with it, you might try "Regedit" and search for "Norton" and "Symantec". If there are any registry entries left by Norton, this will find them. After uninstalling Norton Systemworks several years ago, I found and deleted several hundred dead registry entries this way.

After that, no more Symantec products have found their way onto my computer.

My experience with McAfee products was not good either.

Over several years, I tried them but in every case, my computer crashed. Have not tried them now for many years because of that.

In the old DOS days, they were one of the best.

7. Squashman

That link looks familiar. It's almost as if someone posted it earlier. :D (y)

8. TOGG

TOGG

It's amazing how easy it is to look but not to see. My duplication was completely unintentional but, I fear, a symptom of advancing senility!!

9. Starryblue2

well, i bought system mechanic yesterday and after running that it seems that the norton registry files are gone and after reading through these forums and reading some not so wonderful things about mcafee I have decided to look for another anti-virus program. Thank you everyone for your help!

10. DCM1519

DCM1519

If you are looking for an antivirus program, the free version of AVG is about as good as it gets. I have bought just about every antivirus on the market over the years and none is better than AVG.

11. Squashman

Did you run all the files on the link we provided to you. There were three files that you needed to run from that link. It would have cleaned up the registry files.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!