1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New build - Any comments on this component list before I go ahead..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jw1496, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jw1496

jw1496 Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I want to build a new office computer for my wife. It will be used for email, word processing, spreadsheets (nothing too processor intensive), powerpoint and will maybe play the occaisional DVD. I will use the existing monitor (a samsung syncmaster 205BW, 1680 X 1050) but may upgrade in the future to a larger display. My brief is to produce a machine which will be as near instantaneous as possible whilst remaining as silent as possible. I have tried to chose quiet components and I have not bothered with a video card just hoping that the onboard graphics will be adequate for office work. If I were to add a graphics card I thought about the Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI ( Amazon price £167.92 ) but this adds a lot to the overall price and I don't want it if I don't need it!

Browsing Amazon I have come up with the following components list and wonder if you have any suggestions for improvement / cost reduction etc.

Operating system Win Pro 7 SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD £105.03
    case Antec Three Hundred Midi Case £47.48
    powersupply OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro Power Supply - UK £59.98
    motherboard AsrockZ68 Pro 3 Intel 1155 Motherboard £102.47
    processor Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155) (£165.50)
    memory G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X for Intel Sandybridge Platforms DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 8GB Kit £38.62
    hard drives 2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drives in a RAID array (each £69.30) for document storage, Crucial CT064M4SSD2 64GB M4 SSD (£74.98) for operating system and program files
    Optical drive Sony AD-7261S-0B 24x Internal DVDRWRAM SATA Black Lightscribe - Sony £15.99
    miscellaneous Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling £14.87
    A grand total of £763 including windows.

Thanks in advance for your helpful comments / suggestions.

2. xalerik

xalerik

Go for green series of WD drivers or Re4 but this will add to price badly. I have many bad feedbacks about blue ones. Green or Black more stable ones with less returns.
    Overall for office operations looks quite well.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree, go with the black series drives or RE drives. They are better built with dual motor supports and dual processors.

I am not a fan of asrock boards. Asrock is the "Value" [read cheap] line from asus. Asus does the design however the actual mfg of the board is done by a third party. If asus will not put their name on the board, what does that say about quality???

Go with a real asus board or a gigabyte board; IMO a much better option.

4. black-wolf

black-wolf

That mobo doesn't have onboard graphics.

5. xalerik

xalerik

asrock z68 pro3, integrated intel hd, dvi vga and hdmi ports

6. black-wolf

black-wolf

7. black-wolf

black-wolf

Sorry, forgot the 2500 has integrated graphics.

8. sonexpc

sonexpc

Don't Like AsRock MB..... 64GB FOR OS Drive i sa little bit small I would suggest 120GB ... Becuae after Window 7 and OS you may use 4x GB and you know some temp file and cache file... and you better left 10% of SSD not use..

I also use WD Blue in RAID... I find is OK ... because have RAID ...if one dead is still OK... the GREEN one is just too slow... and the black one is Good If I only have 1 HD I will use Black.. but I put it in RAID already... the BLUE is cheaper and Quiet than the BLACK..

9. black-wolf

black-wolf

I have the 64GB SSD with Win 7 and have my cache on my HDD and have 35GB free on the SSD. I install all programs to the HDD.
    WD black is the way to go.
    A lot of people are going for the ASRock (no longer owned by ASUS) They supposedly are making better boards. I have no experience with their new boards. I still go for ASUS 1st Gigabyte 2nd.

10. sonexpc

sonexpc

But for people use SSD.... suppose to put the cache file and teh program file on the SSD...

When you boot up OS... not all the file is in the OS Directory... it also need to call the program file you install ...like Antivirus... ..and the most time the OS ready is also the cache area...(Page File) if it set to the HD it just slow down the whole performance.....

11. black-wolf

black-wolf

I disagree. Mine is set up the way I described and it smokes. I'm not saying that it is the only way. With 8GB of RAM the cache gets very little use. My anti virus is on my HDD and still is in my startup. Games (installed on my HDD) load and run faster.

12. sonexpc

sonexpc

Yes once you change to SSD you will feel way fast... and Yes you can setup like the way you are... But even if you have 8GB of RAM your cache file or Page File still have at least 1 to 2GB....you can check on your system..
    I just say that will be even fast if you put that in the SSD...

13. black-wolf

black-wolf

Had it on the SSD and took it off. No difference.

14. black-wolf

black-wolf

I just noticed there are 13 posts and only one from jw1496 (the first one).

Are you with us jw1496?

15. jw1496

jw1496 Thread Starter

Yes, Still here!
    I have been listening to your advice and waiting for a concensus to emerge. Going to bed now though. Will take a look tomorrow and then make final decisions.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice