1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New build BSOD, intermittent

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rhettman5, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3839 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 455391 MB;
    Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group, A780L3L
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Hi Guys, long time no see.

This is a new build, all Available Windows updates installed.

Every since I built this PC I have been getting intermittent BSOD errors concerning "page fault in non paged area"
    The PC then reboots to fast to read the error codes.

This occurs at start-up sometimes, other times after a few hours of use. I suspect it is a RAM issue, but would like some input before I order new ram to try it...the PC has a single stick of 4GB of G-Skill ram.

Things I have done:
    Reinstalled windows including all updates.
    Checked bios for updates (none)
    Checked temps and voltage, all look great under 30C

Windows checked for the cause of the errors and said it was either the MB...RAM...Power Supply, or Hard drive.....thanks for narrowing it down MS...good job.:p

Any way, I will probably roll the dice and purchase new RAM and return the suspect chip, but as I said,I thought I'd run it past you guys first...Thanks, Rhett

2. iRiguez

iRiguez

Hey man,

First off, Nice Build!

Secondly, do you have other ram you can test to see if this issue is in fact RAM related?

Thirdly, have you tried overclocking your system at all?

3. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Turn up CPU core voltage a few millivolts. Turn up RAM voltage a few millivolts.

Verify that the RAM latencies as set in the BIOS match the RAM latencies required for the RAM. Adjust as indicated.

Doing these things will almost certainly stabilize the system, unless the problem is bad RAM (possible but not likely) or a cheap power supply (entirely possible, particularly because you didn't see fit to list the make and model of the power supply).

4. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

It Could well be the Power Supply as it came in a "New Egg Combo Deal " The build is for a farmer friend who will use it to surf the web and do his books, should see a easy life.

Logisys 480W Power Supply...definitely "non expensive" May buy the ram and a power supply.. the lil thing is fast, when it works :)

5. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

After 10 days of waiting for the RAM (on a 4 day free shipping order) it arrived, installed and the PC runs great.
    The part that sucks is that New Egg won't take the defective ram back as the value is less than the money I saved on the combo deal..... seems wrong to me.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most ram has a lifetime warranty from the mfg ie corsair or whomever. RMA the ram back to the mfg. You will not get money back however you will get working ram chips for the next build.

7. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

will do, thanks, G Skill Ram, and the first I ever had trouble with.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice