1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New build hard drive jumper settings help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pauloz, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pauloz

pauloz Thread Starter

I am doing a new build and it's my first SATA computer. I ordered a Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/s Internal Hard Drive. (Bare Drive). Man is it ever bare. There is no information with the drive and no map to the jumper settings and no jumpers included. I an building a pretty bare bones system with a Gigibyte GA-P61-USB3-B3 LGA 1155 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard and a Intel-Core i3 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA1155 Processor and a Samsung Black Blu-Ray Combo SATA Model SH-B123L Optical drive.

Having never built a SATA machine, I have no clue as to the necessary jumper settings that will be needed on the hard drive and even if i need to make any jumper settings. Any help or advise on this would be a big help. TY in advance

2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

SATA makes life much easier since you don't have to set jumpers. In fact, you can plug the drive into any SATA connector on the motherboard, and it will work just fine.

3. pauloz

pauloz Thread Starter

Will I need to set jumpers on the Optical drive? It's still in the mail TY

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Nope. You don't need jumper settings on a SATA optical drive either. Since you are setting up a system with only one optical drive and a single HDD, all you have to do is set the computer to boot from a CD/DVD for setup, and Windows will find the optical drive and then install to your hard drive. In a system with multiple hard drives and/or optical drives, there is a little more setup involved, but in your case you can just plug in your drives and you are good to go.

5. pauloz

pauloz Thread Starter

TY so much. So easy even a caveman could do it. lol

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Sometimes technical "advances" in computers actually are.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice