1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New build preparations!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by necrophea, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. necrophea

necrophea Thread Starter

Alright, so my new case, cpu, and OS is on its way..but ive been thinking...

I just purchased a 3770k cpu, and its almost here for delivery, however, in my haste, i forgot to purchase a cooler.

Why have a nice cpu and a stock cooler right? especially if i'm going to experiment with overclocking.

The only immediate solution i have is best buy selling an antec khuler 620 liquid cooling unit. Would that perform well with the 3770k? i hear the temps are quite high, and i doubt that is a performance water cooler.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antec+-...218406315873&skuId=3474129&st=antec&cp=1&lp=2

What kind of difference would i see with that water cooler from the stock fan, and how high could i safely push my overclock from stock fan to water cooler?

should i remove the preapplied thermal pastes and purchase a known brand like:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex&#...8854&skuId=9609458&st=thermal paste&cp=1&lp=2

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antec+-...8535&skuId=3742027&st=thermal paste&cp=1&lp=4

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to go with an aftermarket cooler; just wait the few days and order a coolermaster 212 from the egg. I have a 2500k overclocked to 4.3 and it [cooler] keeps it in the mid 50s when running prime95.

FWIW I am not a fan of water cooling. It is not a question of IF it will leak, it is a question of when it will leak.

You have asked a question that does not have a definitive answer. Every overclock is different. You may only be able to achieve a small overclock, you might achieve a large overclock, no one can tell you. Overclocking is dependent on many things; quality of your ram, quality of your pw supply, quality of your mb, the ability of your case to dissipate thermal energy, and last but not least your cpu; some overclock better than others.

Remember any overclock MUST be prime95 stable or it is worthless. Go slowly when overclocking and test for stability with prime95 each time you make a change. Do not use any "Auto" overclocking. Any worthwhile overclock should be done via bios settings then tested for stability.

3. necrophea

necrophea Thread Starter

absolutely, i like air cooling as well, but ive never had such a profound pc. I want to take care of it as best I can, so i suppose putting water in an electronic device isn't the answer is it :D..

I understand that every set up, every motherboard and every cpu is different, but im not spending 50 extra dollars for a water cooling pump when i could get the 212 and stick with air for the same margin of improvement. I didn't mean to sound so vague, but im also not too certain on how far 3770s can be pushed.. it seems ivybridge is not as OC friendly as sandy is.

Anywho, i was just trying to dodge waiting for shipping times again, but hey, i suppose i can disassemble the board later when i have more patience :D.. Air cooling it is.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The 212 type coolers require you to pull the mb since a backplate must be installed behind the board. In addition you do need to make sure you have enough room in your case for the large heatsink.

I have one of these on both a vishera 8350 overclocked to 4.5 and a 2500k; both work flawlessly.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a screenshot of the 8350 running prime95; after 10min the temp is still at 49C. It is somewhat cold in my office; it will get up to the mid 50s with a warmer ambient temp.

Attached Files:

6. necrophea

necrophea Thread Starter

haha very nice!

On the same note, my case has two removable side panels, allowing me access to the cpu back plate, or where id imagine it would go. Would I still have to disassemble everything? not a big deal if I do.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have access to the back of the mb, then you do not absolutely have to pull the board. With that said, I would still pull the board since these coolers are not the easiest things to install and I like to test fit everything prior to applying thermal compound.

Up to you; it could be done in the case with access to the rear of the board.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice