1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New build problems please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rhorne4, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhorne4

rhorne4 Thread Starter

I just started a new build and i am having some problems.I put everything together outside the case and it was running fine.It posted and i let it run a couple of minutes to make sure everything was working.I then installed mb in case and hooked up case fans and front panel connectors and powered up to make sure it was not shorted to the case.The computer powered up and posted so i let it run a few minutes when all of a sudden i lost my video.I checked all of my connections and the were ok.Finally i put in a working video card and still no video.I pulled everything back out and started from scratch.I reset the bios,reset memory,tried with one stick of memory,tried switching memory to different memory slots,pulled out both sticks of memory and tried to see if i would get any beeps.Still nothing.The only thing i have is the processor fan running.I also tried another monitor.Please help asap.

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

If you have a tester, check the power supply. If it is good, I would suspect the motherboard, since you swapped video card.

3. rhorne4

rhorne4 Thread Starter

It is a brand new antec ps.Everything is new,just got it yesterday but i know that you can get bad part's.

4. rhorne4

rhorne4 Thread Starter

5. seekermeister

seekermeister

I also use Antec, but when I replaced my old PS, I got 2 bad ones in a row. Assuming that you have modular cables on the PS, you can also try switching the ports that they are plugged into. The problem that you described can only be caused by a bad motherboard, bad powersupply or bad video card...as far as I know.

6. rhorne4

rhorne4 Thread Starter

I never got around to useing any of the modular cables.I thought newegg would let you rma motherboards.I sure hate to deal with intel.

7. seekermeister

seekermeister

Also, to rule out the possibility of a bad power switch, short across the contacts on the motherboard to see if it powers on properly.

8. seekermeister

seekermeister

I don't understand, either you have modular cables or they are hardwired to the power supply...so you would not have a choice about using them, if you have them. I've never dealt with Newegg, but I would assume that they would give you an RMA if needed.

EDIT: OOPS! I had to take a look at my PS to refresh my memory, the main power cables are hardwired. For some reason I was thinking that they were modular also. Since you gave no specs, I do not know if the video card has any power connections or not, it depends on the card.

9. rhorne4

rhorne4 Thread Starter

The main wires are hardwired,power,processor,the rest are modular.All i ever got hooked up was the power and processor wires.

10. seekermeister

seekermeister

Yes, I was a bit slow. Check the edit in my last post.

11. rhorne4

rhorne4 Thread Starter

The video card has no power connections.The mb had onboard video and that is what i was using when the video went out.I was going to install a video card in the system when i had it up and running.When the onboard video went out,I pulled a video from a working computer and tried it but i still had no video.

12. rhorne4

rhorne4 Thread Starter

I have tried everything i know.If i try it outside the case and start it by shorting across the power on pins,the processor fan will start up but still no video.After the video went out,the processor fan is the only thing that runs.It seems like everything just died all at once except the processor fan.Never had this happen before.

13. seekermeister

seekermeister

I do not know if you verified that the PS is okay, but if it is, then it is certain that something went south on the motherboard, I have not had a motherboard with onboard video. Since you would need video to enter the BIOS, what does it do...automatically switch between onboard or a separate video card?

14. rhorne4

rhorne4 Thread Starter

On a pci express mb,it disables the onboard video when you insert a video card.The video was working fine and i was looking over the bios and it just went blank all of a sudden.The processor fan also slowed down when that happened if that tells you anything.

15. seekermeister

seekermeister

It doesn't tell me much, but the fans are on different power rails than some other components. I do remember that the Antec power supplies have a builtin overload protection, without any manual switch. With the work that you have been doing, you probably have already done this, but it needs maybe 20 minutes unplugged from the wall power to reset.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice