1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New build won't boot in case: what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by p326237, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. p326237

p326237 Thread Starter

My new build works outside the case, but I still can't get it to even power up inside. I'm convinced something is causing a short, but I can't determine the cause.

Stats because this is my first post:

Case: Cooler Master HAF912
    Fans: CM Megaflow 200mm (2x front & top), CM 120mm (rear)
    PSU: CM eXtreme Power Plus RS500 500W
    Mobo: ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68
    CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA1155
    CPU Cooler: CM V6GT
    RAM: Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1600
    GPU: ZOTAC ZT-20313-10L GeForce 210 1GB
    SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SATA III SSD
    Optical: Samsung 22x DVD Burner SH-222BB/BEBE
    Wireless: Linksys WMP54GS Wireless-G Adapter

All the internal parts aside from the wireless card are brand new, and work completely fine outside of the case. The only thing I can think of is that the motherboard isn't screwed into all the standoffs, only the outer four. Does this actually matter?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Ritchie99912

Ritchie99912

Is everything configured the same outside?
    Is the motherboard touching the case metal?
    Are the screws in too tight?
    Is the processor slotted properly?
    Are there any LED lights on the motherboard that would explain where the problem lies?
    Do the fans begin spinning at all, any source of power?

You also mention the motherboard isn't screwed in at all parts, are you using the hexagonal screws first, placing the motherboard on top, then the screws themselves?

3. p326237

p326237 Thread Starter

a. Yes, more or less.
    b. That's the thing. I think something is causing the two to contact, but up until now I have not been sure where exactly it is happening.
    c. Might be. I've had a hard time getting them in (i.e. with the limited hand space, which the beefy CPU cooler isn't exactly helping), and I might have done so a little zealously.
    d. I should think so, considering it works outside, and through this I've already booted successfully, set up the system on my SSD and had it up and running for a few hours.
    e. The only non-status LEDs (i.e. not related to the case power and HD LED headers) are in the CPU cooler (which works fine outside), and in the CM Megaflow fans.
    f. Nothing really happens except a barely audible buzz, which suggests to me that electrical contact between power supply and motherboard is being made, but ultimately fails because the connection is shorting somewhere.

g. Yes, I am placing the motherboard on top of the standoffs (hexagonal screws) and using the M3 screws to secure them.

This MB has support for seven such screws in the standoffs, but I had opted not to install the center three. I've been running under the assumption that the standoffs, being made of brass, aren't as conductive (if at all).

[​IMG][​IMG]

There is another one in the first photo here that is partially hidden under the video card, next to a capacitor.

Just now I tried installing them, thinking that that would be an issue. The one for the slot in the second photo wouldn't go in all the way, because it was turning with the standoff.

I also noticed that the 4-pin ATX 12V connectors were in wrong (the leftmost one was only inserted into half of the sockets), and fixed it.

I'm still not sure what it is.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Brass is highly conductive. It is a metal. If you see no other points of contact, the standoffs may be the problem.

Look at the board and see what the screw may be connecting to the case when in.

Are you using standoffs that came with the board or the case?

5. Compiler

Compiler

I'm familiar with the HAF 912. Use only the stand-offs it came with.

Your motherboard should have holes for 6 screws for the stand-offs... There should be:
    A- brass-stand-offs installed ONLY for the holes in the motherboard.
    B- All screws attached (6) to the stand-offs. Not 4, all of them.

For example, there are two spots directly behind the slots for stand-offs.screws. An ATX board will use only 1 of them - but IF you have both stand-offs installed, you are shorting out the board. Count them, mark them.

After doing so... and still an issue. have only the MOBO and CPU installed. Then just enough cables for power and the power switch. NO keyboard, no mouse, NO SATA drives, no video card. (If you have onboard video, still don't plug it in).

Does PC power up? if yes, plug in memory. retest.
    Does PC power up? if yes, install video card and cable, retest.
    Does PC power up? if yes, plug in keyboard, retest
    Does PC power up? if yes, plug in mouse, retest
    Does PC power up? if yes, plug in optical drive, retest
    Does PC power up? if yes, plug in boot drive (SSD or HD)

6. Ritchie99912

Ritchie99912

Please loosen all screws until they are easy to maneuver and try booting.
    Also make sure the I/O Panel isn't actually touching the motherboard itself. Some I/O panels can be all metal which could cause some problems. Where as most of them have a padding side on the interior part.

After this try re-booting from inside the case.

also as another user said, disconnect everything and just boot from the Mobo/CPU. Then insert the RAM if it boots, then the Graphics, continue this until you get to the very last thing such as the monitor or mouse.

7. p326237

p326237 Thread Starter

The only standoffs came with the case. I installed them as directed by the alphabetical guide on the interior. I was careful not to place any in the Micro-ATX positions.

I haven't checked the I/O plate all that carefully. I've thought that the PCI shields might be touching slightly, though.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the machine right now to check anything more, and it's going to be a while before I can get back to it.

8. Compiler

Compiler

Well.. something is causing a short. A motherboard isn't going to NOT want to power up because it doesn't like YOUR case. So make sure its secured, and go through the steps above.

Even a BAD keyboard can cause problems.

Let us know what happens.

9. p326237

p326237 Thread Starter

I did some more troubleshooting. The answer? None of the above.

Either I'm setting it up wrong, or apparently my motherboard doesn't like the PSU's CHA_FAN1 input (I THINK that is what it's supposed to be), because it won't start with it plugged in. I even got another PSU and neither one works with it.

I was originally trying to connect the case fans by daisy chaining the Molex connectors and attempting to use the input, so I just have them plugged directly into the other fan headers and they work just fine. I don't even think it's the daisy-chaining that's doing it, though. I guess I should get a fan controller just to see that it isn't a bad header or something.

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    So there's a CHA_FAN1 lead from the PSU and you have it connected to the Motherboard ?

I think it should go straight to the fan. If I have read this wrong let me know.

11. p326237

p326237 Thread Starter

Wow, I just realized that was actually the floppy connector.

A valuable lesson learned, I'm just glad I didn't fry anything.

Honestly, I'd rather plug my fans directly into the motherboard anyway, until I get a front-panel fan controller.

Problem solved, thanks to everyone who tried helping me.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice